1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SoCool, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    I am using a Linksys wireless access point to connect to my wireless network. How can I enter the security code to allow access to the internet. When I run the test to see if I am connected, everything is ok except internet, failed. My second HR-20 is hard wired so the security code (WEP KEY) did not have to be entered. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't think an access point will work. You need to use a gaming adapter. Linksys makes one that many people here have had success with. They are a little pricey, but I don't lnow of any other way (without hacking a wireless router with DD-WRT).

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You would have to connect a laptop or computer to your Wireless Access point, to configure the security settings.

4. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    Thanks, I kinda forgot. When you dont do it every day. I configured the WEP key, I am connected to my network, but no internet.

I tried a USB adaptor, but no go. I had this access point/router laying around in the garage

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Can you get to the internet, when you have a laptop or something connected to the access point

6. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    When I configured the router, I didn't try. I will try now.

7. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    What I am trying to do can not be done! Can anyone recommend a wireless adaptor that can be used in this situation? It has to use an ethernet cable, I think?

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    What product where you using. before?

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Since you're asking, I'm super-satisfied with my slinglink turbo. It's actually ethernet over power lines, so I'm not worried about signal strength. It also gives me a 4-port network switch at the HR20.

I had tried a Linksys WGA54g and I had "version 1" of it which ended up not working at all. I know some people have had success with the WGA and I'd bet they had the "version 2" one. It's not possible to tell from the box, you have to look at the sticker on the bottom.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Didn't I in post #2?

11. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    I realize you have recommended the gaming adaptor. They are so expensive. I called D* and they recommended a Gemini sv6900. They said it was available at Walmart. I can't find one, online or in the store. Will D* be providing these adaptors when VOD finally kicks in?

By the way hilmar2K, I used to live in Poughquag.

12. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    This unit has never been connected.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How far apart are your Slinglinks? I tried the Netgear version, and they were horrible. I just wonder if the Slinglinks will be better. Seems like the same technology, so I don't know if one would work better than the other. I am trying to go from the second floor of my house to the basement. I wouldn't think distance would make a huge difference, but something was amiss with the Netgears. In fact, if I turned on flourescent lights that were on the same circuit as the receiving end, I lost connection completely.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can do the other suggestion I offered and hack a router. Check out this thread for details. Looks like a sub $40 option.

How long ago did you live in Poughquag?

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My house is 40 years old and the two slinglinks are on diametrically opposite sides of the house, with fluorescent lights everywhere (including CFL's over the TV). They are on two separate circuits (in the same breaker box). No complaint, I get close to the rated 85Mbps whenever I test.

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I shall give them a go. Thanks.

17. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    How long ago did you live in Poughquag?[/QUOTE]

About 10 yrs ago, old route 55.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    For some reason, gaming adapters and wireless ethernet bridges (both of which work in this application) are more expensive than access points and routers. I suspect that the demand (and competition) is less.

19. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    Is the DD/WRT a flash update file provided by Buffalo? This sounds like a good fix.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Not provided by Buffalo. You can get it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.