1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New 0x05FD software apparently bricked my HR34 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lgno, Jan 10, 2013.

1. lgno

lgno New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I also have a major issue. My HR34 received the update yesterday (1/9/13) at about 11am. The box was turned on for the first time since the update that evening, and I initially noticed no changes. A few hours later (without having turned off the box) the guide changed from using the green/red buttons for moving +/- 12 hours to now using the fast forward/rewind buttons. I later noticed I was unable change between crop and pillar box aspect ratios on SD channels (something I do regularly). Then yet another problem occurred where the picture would be in HD but all the on screen GUI (guide, info, progress bar) would be pixelated in what I presume is SD. So I went to the menu and selected restart receiver.

The HR34 restarts by going through the receiver self-check, then shows "Step 1 of 2: Checking Satellite Settings - Almost Done." But instead of continuing to step 2 it will stay frozen on that screen for over 10 minutes until the box resets itself to start all that over again.

The HR34 has subsequently been reset both with the red reset button and by being unplugged. I have also had the box reinstall the 0x05FD software and even ran the guided tests in "Diagnostics Mode" (with no issues). It still freezes on the "Checking Satellite Settings" dialogue.

I called customer service (and spoke with a technical supervisor) and they didn't know what to do other than what I had already done. They were not aware of anyone else having this issue as of yet. I will be getting a new HR34 - but I'm still very unhappy about losing all of my recorded programs and settings. Hopefully this is a one off issue and will not affect my new HR34 or anyone else.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

Attached Files:

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not that I'm any help, but that is completely bizarre, especially the buttons changing in the guide like that. This build did change that, but you should have seen that change immediately after it booted, not several hours after.

3. philiphotog

philiphotog New Member

Nov 28, 2012
    The only thing I can think of is the hard drive may of been dying and this was the last straw. Really not sure.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Probably true. We sometimes see reports like this after new software updates because the DVR runs a disk diagnostic as part of the software install process. I trust that DirecTV is sending you a replacement?

5. don s

don s Mentor

Sep 4, 2011
    The update actually fried my access card. After several calls, they are sending me a new one "Invalid access card" is what is noted and I cannot use the HR34 until the new card arrives. They said it is a "known issue" from the latest firmware update for some of the receivers (how comforting ) .. :nono2:

6. lgno

lgno New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I was thinking it was the hard drive as well. However, I have run every single diagnostic test (including the surface test) provided in the HR34's diagnostics mode and everything comes back clean. I guess it could still be the hard drive, though.

Yes. They are sending a replacement.

7. ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    D*TV is aware that 0x05FD broke several HR-34 receivers and the engineers are going to push out an update by this upcoming weekend.

Or so I'm told :)

8. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    That type of boot loop can be caused by a tuner hardware failure. This would show up as code 11 in a system test if it was ran before reset.

FWIW I get about 1 HR34 a week DOA from a code 11 failure. I've never had a new HR24 give a code 11.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Try this: Hit the red button again after first screen has been up five minutes.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I spoke the the person in DIRECTV engineering who is in charge of updates for this box and what you were told is CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. Sadly this is a common lie told by CSRs to get people off the phone.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Also FYI the on screen displays changed to show FFWD and REW but red and green still work.

12. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    lgno, look at the bright side.
    By raising all of this here at dbstalk, you know with certainty that the engineering team was made aware of the issue.

Isn't this place great?

13. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    You wouldn't think this would be correct assuming the Genie's are the same hardware platform and everyone got the identical firmware. Either they would all work or all be bricked unless there was a glitch in download.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The checksums would have it redownload if there was a glitch.

15. billcoff

billcoff Mentor

Jul 26, 2007
    I have been told by CSRs, including people from Ellen Filipiak's office, that the only way they can communicate with people in engineering is by e-mail. Since you are able to talk to the engineers, I am wondering if what I had been told was also a lie.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Which was..... :confused:

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    What Ms. Filipiak is telling you is not a lie, and neither is what I am telling you. It's simply a matter of clarification.

I can say with categorical certainty that Ms. Filipiak has, at least once, spoken with an engineer. I know, because I was speaking with the same engineer at the same time on a national conference call. And I can further tell you that I spoke person-to-person with a DIRECTV engineer, in fact several of them, in the last week. I am not telling you these things to blow my own horn. I'm telling you these things to clarify what was told to you previously.

DIRECTV's policy (as I understand it) is that important directives are transmitted by e-mail whenever practicable. That is what Ms. Filipiak's office meant. And, I will add, whenever possible I communicate electronically with the engineers as well, because I don't want to waste their busy days.

All that said, people do talk face-to-face sometimes. It does happen.

18. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Or at least phone to phone. :)

19. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Our HR34-700 rebooted today and is stuck in the same place. They are sending someone out thursday.

Is there anything I can do to help them get this unit back in working order so we don't lose our programs? Have several finales to watch.

Would running a 02468 force a re-download of the software and maybe fix it?

20. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    This is why cloud stuff will eventually win out. We'll just pay to watch the things we want and pull them down. Multichannel providers will be relegated to live sports, news, etc.

It is ridiculous that:

a) I bought their hardware
    b) They installed the software, not me
    c) I lose programming that I paid for

This is not a sustainable model. At the very least, these boxes need to include cloud video watching (on demand) in HD for all shows so if there is an issue, one can go watch the program on demand.

On top of this, settings, etc, should be backed up to DirecTVs servers, so if I need to get a new box, those settings can be downloaded (and cleaned by their servers) and re-installed so I basically don't know that anything happened.