1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 922 Install, will I regret it?

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by bill-e, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    Hi Folks,

I wanted Sling so without thinking I logged onto Dish and ordered a 922 for 200 bux.

I got it installed this morning and I'm underwhelmed. Then I logged onto here (which I should have done first) and felt some buyers remorse.

First thing is the Sling which isn't working. I get the Program Guide and can see my DVR, I can even delete a DVR program. But I cannot play anything which logs into Dish Remote (my Android app which is the entire reason for doing this). If I log into Dish Online, one time today I was able to get at my DVR contents and actually watch something, but no longer.

If I click on Sling from the 922 menu I get an error, same with help and Dish home.

So, any ideas of how to fix this? Originally I had my 922 running through a switch and then to my router but right now it's going directly to the router but it is acting the same.

Thanks
    Bill

2. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Wait 24-48 hours for everything to work properly. Installers should tell every 922 customer this but they don't. Expecting everything to work immediately is a recipe for frustration and anger.

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yup. 24-48 "bake-in" of all of the software the 922 needs to function like the sweet piece of hardware it is.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would say the time need to download all parts - to me there is no need to bake-in, it just accumulate software parts, plugins, etc.

5. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    My experience as an installer has been that in order to make the sling work right away, I've had to let the receiver fully activate, then do a power cord reset. After the reboot sling has always worked for me.

6. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    Ok, all seems to be working now. Is there a .pdf of the manual somewhere I can download?
    I tried to enter some manual timers but couldn't figure it out so I entered them from dishonline. Also, is there a way to copy back some of my archived shows to the main DVR?

7. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    The Sling is still beta......the story is RA is going away and DO is going to be the flagship.
    That's all well and good but they need to move several of the RA features to DO (guide issues in particular) if this indeed happens, who knows....regardless I personally like the 922, I've had it from the beginning, with all it's early foibles it's still more interesting. I'll get the X box (if they let me) when it arrives......It gives me something to do in my limited spare time, wrinkles and all.

8. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    356B, What's the x box?

9. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DVR server XiP813 and a client XiP110.

11. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    He is a sort of 'masochist' - want to be 'guinea pig' from first group users of the device. :D

13. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Ya think.......

14. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    What you mean sort of........?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sorry, I didn't realize you are. :D

I mean - who will voluntary pick a device with many bugs and very limited functionality ?

16. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Apparently more than one would think....I can't wait for more fun and games with the xip, stay tuned.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    One of the features they took away (i.e. never added) to the 922 was manual or DishPass timers. Whenever I have mentioned it, Dish seems to think nobody wants those features and seems sort of disinterested in the suggestion.

So... you discovered the only workaround... which is that they still let you set manual timers via Dish Remote Access, even though you can't define them on the receiver.

Playback (I know, not what you asked) of EHD content is accessed from the DVR menu by having the drive plugged in and selecting it from the drop-down menu.

Transfer (from or to) an EHD is in a completely different place on the 922. You need to go into the Menu (main menu) and scroll down until you see the option/app for transferring.

18. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    Thanks. I had moved a bunch of stuff off to my EHD and I wanted to move it back so I will be reminded to watch it.

19. bill-e

bill-e AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    Did I read correctly that I can use a USB hub and connect another drive?

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Some ppl connected four drives via USB hub to the ViP922 (I did try connect four EHD from 622, but only one recognized by the DVR).