1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Apartment Install - Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DesertFlyer, Apr 29, 2008.

1. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Forgive me since I don't know many of the technical terms, but I am willing to learn.

I've had DirecTV since 2003 and love it. At my current apartment, I have a single HR20-700 and D11 hooked up to the Slimline on my patio (tripod) with wires running around the edges of the walls. This has been fine since it was temporary and a small apartment, so the wires are always hidden by something.

In July I'll be moving to a brand new apartment complex, into a two bedroom apartment. They have setup the apartments so that your dish can be installed on the roof in designated areas and they have a place to run wires down directly to your apartment through a wall. Then it comes into the box in the laundry room where all the coax wiring comes to for either Cox or dish hookup. Unfortunately there is just one cable going to each room. Since I will want an HR20 in the living room, an HR20 in bedroom 2, and a D11 in the master bed, how can this be accomplished using the existing wiring? There is no way to run wires along the walls in this apartment without crossing walkways and I cannot do that.

To further complicate things, I will need Cox cable HSI in bedroom 2. I've heard it's impossible to run both signals on the same line (reliably). Is this true?

On a related note, does anyone know any good installers in the Phoenix area? I'm not in a mood to deal with Ironwood ever again.

EDIT: As I'm looking around, it looks like I'll need to use an SWM? Then do you just split the line behind the receiver?

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    when using a SWM you only need to plug it into the first input. Everything else for the 2 tuners is handled internally. If you are diplexing OTA or Cable you would need to diplex that back out before the back of the box.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    a swm is perfect for your situation.
    pm if you are interested in getting the equipment you need

4. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies! I may just go ahead and buy one from you Dave. Is there an ETA on the new dish with SWM built in?

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    just rumors on the dish........

6. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Ok, then I'll probably be contacting you in June (since I won't be installing until July).

Does anyone know any good installers in the Phoenix/Tempe area?

7. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Almost a new member

Aug 18, 2006
    Not anymore :)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=116250&page=10

They're available in some markets now. It's not clear if it's limited to just a few test markets right now, or if everyone can get them.

8. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Ok, so I have my THIRD install appointment with Aerosat tomorrow.

***Start Rant***
    The first appointment (Monday), the guy was a no show. When I called the company, they go a hold of him and he said it would be at least two more hours. This was after I sat 4 hours in an empty apartment... I was crazy by that point, talked to a supervisor and got an install for the next morning. I asked the supervisor to have the tech call me if they were going to be late. I was advised they would call if there were any delays, but overall they were very unsympathetic.

Install appointment number two, the two techs show up about 30 minutes late (without calling of course) and were a couple of young guys that instantly started looking for a way out of the job. I practically answered the door and they informed me there were line of sight issues. Once I told them it was going on the roof, they said they could not install without running cables from the central laundry room to the rest of the apartment. Once I showed them my SWM and explained how it works (they were amazed) then they explained their ladder wouldn't reach the roof and that they didn't have a non-penetrating mount (said my tripod Ironwood had used couldn't support the dish). So they finally got their wish and left.

So install number 3 is tomorrow morning, hopefully between 8am-12pm. I called and had them specify a non-penetrating mount and a 16ft latter. Apparently they'll send out a supervisor if one is available.

DirecTV have been pretty good here I guess, giving me a month of free service. It just seems like this all could have been avoided by making sure their sub-contractors are a bit more profession, prepared and competent. I can't imagine having a job where I could stand up customers and not get fired right away. I know these guys aren't paid very much, so perhaps that's the problem.
    ***End Rant***

So to make sure that I am completely prepared for my install tomorrow, I wanted to check and see if I understand how this will work. I have already hooked up an SWM-8 for my mom, but my install is a little bit different.

The maintenance guys here drew a little diagram to help D* installers. I've scanned this diagram to see if perhaps you guys could help me decipher it. Also I took a picture of where the drop will come in from the roof.

I want to diplex my cable internet for one line into my office. Any suggestions on a good diplexers to do that? Here is how I imagine the setup will go:

Slimeline->SWM (on roof)->PI (in laundry room where drop comes in from roof)->diplexor->apartment wiring->diplexor->HR20

Is that how it can work? I know a lot of people say don't diplex cable internet in, but many say it works. If it doesn't work, I'll work around it, but for now I'd like to try it.

Also how many cinderblocks should I buy for a non-penetrating mount?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

Attached Files:

9. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    suggestion: Let them do the install without the diplexers, then do it after.. one problem at a time..

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Non-pen mounts are not a standard item (meaning: usually not free), and in most areas are rarely used outside of commercial installs, which are not normally handled by residential installers. The installers were also correct that your tripod is not the correct mount for a flat roof; there's no way to secure it properly and the wind would blow it over.

You correctly identified the real problem: installers are paid so little that they cannot afford to carry every possible mount, nor can they afford to give them away when they aren't reimbursed. In-house techs techs are given the required mounts (but not necessarily to carry on their truck "in case"), but they get screwed out of any extra labor pay for any extra work a custom mount might require, as they get paid per job/task, and get nothing extra for stuff like this.

The saddest part is that DirecTV *does* pay the HSP more than enough to cover all this stuff, but the HSPs much prefer to pocket that money rather than pass it on to the installers as they are supposed to.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    100% agreed, dont even talk to the installers about diplexing and all that. Just let them setup the directv service without it. You can handle it later.

My rule with installers is have them do the least amount of work and have everything setup as much as possible before they come, then after they leave you can finish it up with extras you want or straighten things out. (as long as you are capable, if not make sure they get done with the things that you are not comfortable doing)

I would watch them closely, make sure they setup the SWM right and such (its pretty hard to screw up...but still, you never know :p ). I always watch the installers like a hawk when they come (only have had 3 or so out in 12 yrs because I do everything myself normally, just lately you cant get gear from directv without an installer :rolleyes: ), and I try to help as much as I can and have things ready to go. I actually hooked up my own receiver and finished running the wire while the guys were aligning the dish on the roof :p

Focus on having this done by the installers:
    Slimeline->SWM (on roof)->PI (in laundry room where drop comes in from roof)->->apartment wiring->->HR20

I cant really tell ya what that drawing is they gave you, that looks very confusing to me. Probably would make more sense if I could actually see the areas it applies to though ;)

12. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I would have given up with the free install and done it myself except the apartment management are adamant about not allowing me on the roof. It is a three story building, but the dish will go in the very middle, so I plan to get up there with him tomorrow since I don't have a latter.

I'll do the diplexing myself tomorrow night. Luckily I understand how to get an SWM up and going (went without a hitch at my mom's) so I'll be able to make sure that goes right.

Too bad about the installers getting the shaft. I worked it out with Aerosat to give me a free non-pen mount instead of $80.

Thanks again guys.

13. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Interesting thread... I'm curious about the note. Why does it say, "No HD service unless on balcony."?

14. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I think because they don't know what SWMs are and you can't really run lines along walls from the central laundry room. That's all I can think of.

15. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Another missed appointment. I called in and they said the tech would be at least 2 more hours. Too bad I don't have a way onto the roof or I would have set the damn thing up myself. So far I've had better luck with Ironwood.

16. DesertFlyer

DesertFlyer Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    As of 6:30pm I am up and running. It has been quite the week. Luckily a supervisor came along and made the SWM-8 install go smoothly, even though it was quite late. I can't wait to get another HR20 for the bedroom and diplex.

Thanks for the help everyone.

17. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Glad things are looking up for you. Post on how that diplexing goes... Not something I need to do, but it sounds interesting.