1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Apple TV on hold pending a deal with Time Warner Cable

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    New Apple TV on hold pending a deal with Time Warner Cable

Apple is currently in talks with Time Warner Cable, among other programming partners, to add video content to the set-top box before releasing the next version.

Wherever Time Warner Cable may have been headed in talks with Apple, word of a pending acquisition by fellow cabler Comcast certainly seems to complicate things. Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal chimes in with its own set of anonymous sources, talking about how Apple has refocused its TV efforts to work with TV providers, rather than trying to replace them....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. Bambler

Bambler Legend

May 30, 2006
    Makes you wonder with Comcast's snazzy new X1 and their own push for over the top type services, that they will shun Apple completely.

Comcast is really making a push to be a part of every conceivable realm of broadcast entertainment, be it traditional cable, internet and now over the top. Hedging bets? Kind of smart I guess. If they are able to hook you on one of their elements, the chances of up selling all of their products (bundled) goes up.

Surprising how innovative and aggressive they've become. Even their customer service is better than what it used to be, although I can't speak for the quality of their service beyond my immediate area, although I have no complaints here.

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'd hardly call Apple TV a set-top box. It's about the size of a hockey puck. It has a tiny remote but works much better with an Apple mobile app on my iPod Touch than the included remote. The current Apple TV already supports a lot of video.

I can also play Amazon Instant Videos using either my iPod Touch or Kindle Fire through the Apple TV to my Sony HD.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, that works nicely over WiFi. Is that how ATV gets commands from the remote? Or is it IR, RF or ??

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Remote is ir. It works great for me don't know why anyone would have issues unless it's it issues.

6. Bambler

Bambler Legend

May 30, 2006
    Kind of reiterates my thoughts: Comcast wants to dominate everything and doesn't want Apple, Google or anyone else for that matter meddling. Whether they are successful remains to be seen, especially if AppleTV or Chromecast continue to gain in popularity.

The lynchpin for both, in my opinion, is to copy Netflix. Apple already has one of the biggest multimedia stores in the world with iTunes, but everything there has to be purchased discretely and linearly. If Apple opened up that store to a subscription base model, watch out in my opinion. It may gain so much steam that these companies wouldn't have a choice whether to play ball or not.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/17/apple-tv-time-warner-cable-deal/

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I like using the iPhone as a remote, just because if you need to type something, you can use the phone's virtual keyboard. beats clicking around to type anything!