1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AT9 dish mounting?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slydog, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slydog

slydog New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I currently have my old dish mounted to a 4x4 post in my yard. I had an installer come out to set me up with the HD dish and he claimed the new dish couldn't be mounted on this post, something about it's too big. Is that true? I sent him home anyway (he was supposed to show up between 1-4pm, and the dude shows up at 8pm and it is pitch dark out). I haven't seen the newer dish so I don't know if I should believe him.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It is bigger, about 25 x 30 in., and very sturdy, which results in additional weight. It might work on a 4x4, but you wouldn't be able to use the monopoles to provide additional stability. A 2 in. steel pole might be better.

3. slydog

slydog New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    more sturdy than a cemented 4x4 wood post? I don't understand how a 2" steel post would be better? and I'm not sure what you mean by monopoles? can you refer me to a picture?

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Think braces or outriggers and you'll get the idea....the whole idea that a triangle is geometrically stronger than a single pole. My dish has to be mounted on the house and therefore the monopoles are pretty much required. If I could get a clear view of the sky on a single ground pole then I'd not have to worry about additional support. I think the point is that between the dish weight and size that the single pole isn't sturdy enough to keep the dish from moving.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Photo here ....
    http://www.valueelectronics.com/images/monopole wall mt.jpg

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    A 4x4 wood post is subject to shrinking and swelling with changes in moisture content. An 18" dish would probably be ok with a little movement a dish looking at 5 satellites can't be very forgiving so a pole would be better than a wood post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.