1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New "bad" behavior on 721

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by TomCat, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Not sure when this started, but my 721 no longer goes to the page reflecting the program I was just watching when it reaches the end of the recording. Before, you could make a couple button presses from there to delete the recording. Now, I get thrown back into the PVR Listing page, and I have to go find the show and select it first before I can delete it. WTF?

First they "fixed" the search function so it doesn't work as well, and now this. Plus my clock has been off by an hour since February. I've had it...going to DirecTivo.

2. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I'd try a hard reset. I just finished watching a recorded show and did NOT have that problem.

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    I saw this once, a long time ago. A reset cured it.

4. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    So I take it you will be selling it cheap?
    :D

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    My 921 does the same thing when it doesn't get it's auto-reboot fix. A simple soft (front panel) reboot fixes it for me.

You might notice that the timers list (Menu 7 on a 921) is showing 'already occurred recurring events'. In other words, the list isn't showing the next timer to fire, but timers that have fired recently.

6. asher

asher Cool Member

Oct 4, 2004
    This exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. A hard reset fixed it. I think the 721 has some sort of a very slow resource leak (and very poor error-handling behavior in the software), so after a few months without a reset it starts to run low on something and exhibit bizarre random-seeming behavioral changes.

Aaron

7. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    WEEKS, mine needs rebooted every few days since the last software change. Advanced tech says mine is a known bug, the box gets slow and sluggish. sounds liker the first poster is suffering a similiar trouble,

in my case the box just slows own and redraws menus so slowly eventually freezing.occasionally it will self reboot.

I have thiought about adding a relay for a 4AM auto reboot interrupting the UPS.

yeah I KNOW I shouldnt pull the plug but on the other hand they shouldnt load crap software to my box.........

currently the home sale is on again for end of november... but time will tell...

8. backalack

backalack New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I agree there seems to be some inherent problem with the newest software download. Mine has been very unresponsive since. Things like guide not working, paging in guide not working, forward an reverse skips while watching a recorded program very slooooow to react. A reboot does seem to resolve but I din't have this problem prior to the new load. :confused:

9. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Please note I reported this FIRST immediately after the latest software download.

People rip on me for complaing but in nearly every case others eventually report the same bugs....

Proves its not me or something wierd I am or am not doing.

10. Posted this elsewhere, but my 721 doesn't play the audio on the aux input. Video is fine, just no audio.

Previous 721 worked just fine.

Anyone else out there with this problem?

-Earl

11. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The problem you describe above does not even remotely sound like what TomCat is experiencing. As far as your issue, Trying a softboot might clear up the issue that you are having. I recently had a what looked like a tuner gone south. A soft boot did correct this issue. Maybe a slow memory resource leak was introduced with the last software upgrade as soom has suggested, but this is speculation at best. Bob seems to indicate system slow down. If this is a progressive thing then it might indicate a possibe slow resource drawn. If it is immediate that is another story.

Your hour off comment seems to indicate a daylight saving issue. Wonder if it was correct it self this weekend when some of us "Fall Back".

Yeah.. the two wrongs make right argument.. Gotta love it. ;)

We all have our fingers crossed!!!

12. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I hooked up something to the Aux inputs (front panel) for the first time this weekend. I noticed the same problem. Video, but no audio. Turns out that the fix was simple. There are two audio/video connections on the back of the 721. The audio from the front only goes out the first set. The Video from the front goes out both sets, however. Very strange. Or maybe I was using the S-video connection. In any case, moving the audio outputs on the back to the first set fixed the problem.

13. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Hey Bob Haller, you might as well get used to the slow stuff since the D* TiVo units are slow as molasses. At least you will be used to it that way.... :D

14. It worked.... you're right... audio works in just the first set of outputs. And you just saved Echostar a few bucks so I don't have to make a tech call!

-Earl

15. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004

Larry - Shhh, Bob H just said is home sale is back on (look above). That means once in closes he'll have the money to cut down the tree that is blocking his line of sight so that he can get Direct. Don't discourage him with negative talk about Tivo's, he wants to move to Direct and I think it's a great idea. He can then tell us how great Direct is. :)

On a more serious note, I REALLY am interested in Bob H's review of Directs service and the Tivo boxes.

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well this is a DISH box, so it goes without saying that "a few months without a reset" would be pretty rare. Mine gets "booted" (not literally) every couple weeks whether it needs it or not. Memory leak? Probably. DISH programmers are the bottom of the barrel, just below Windoze programmers.

Problem did go away, but I didn't get a chance to initate reboot...it crashed while guide surfing and rebooted spontaneously 4 times in a row. I unplugged it, took a shower, kicked the cat, and plugged it back in. Now operating normally. I'm still going to DTivo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.