1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Black DECA setup questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dblake15, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dblake15

dblake15 Mentor

Sep 29, 2006
    I have HR23s and I am trying to just setup one of them right now. I have these new Black DECAs that the techinical support lady had no idea about. So I am connecting them without the bband converter to my receiver and I am getting no signal. What am I doing wrong? This should be such an easy install.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    Are they facing to right direction?

Can you give a little more info on what you are putting where?

3. dblake15

dblake15 Mentor

Sep 29, 2006
    Sorry about that. So there is one side that says Sat Rcvr / Power with a long dongle line on it and the other side says Towards LNB and has a small nub. It looks like the B-Band Converter style. It also has two lights one is power and the other is network. Both light up. But I am not plugging anything into the ethernet until I get sat signal coming through. I believe I have an SWM, but how can I check to be sure, that could be the problem I am wondering.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If you had BBband converters and are swapping them for DECA's then you dont have a SWM. Press the dash button if will say SWim connected if you do have SWM.

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Of course, the HR23 doesn't require B-Band converters either.

Is the HR23 new, i.e. a replacement?

6. dblake15

dblake15 Mentor

Sep 29, 2006
    Nope does not come up. I just went and checked and it says Zinwell 8 way switch. No SWM on it. I am betting that is my issue. Can I purchase an SWM from Best Buy or should I just have the installer come out and set all of this up?

7. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    BTW, would you mind posting a picture of this new black DECA? Anything new is exciting. Thanks.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    new DECA.PNG

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're not on a SWiM, the DECA is blocking the tune voltage to the LNB, and not able to connect with the other DECAs on a network, due to having a switch instead of a splitter.

10. vict

vict Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    That's pretty cool. Room is tight behind one of my recievers, and something smaller would be helpful.

11. vict

vict Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    I don't think Best Buy has SWMs, but I could be wrong. You likely need to look at Solid Signal or someplace like that, or there are usually a bunch on EBAY too.

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, eBay usually has much better pricing on SWiM modules than SS. It's like they fell off the truck or something... :eek2:

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are a lot of reasons to buy equipment like that from places you know and trust. That's all I'm saying.

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I purchased my SWM16 a ways back from a seller on ebay. Confirmed that they had a high rating, had a return policy, paid via Paypal with the protection program and the seller even swapped out the two 8 port splitters for one 2 port and one 4 port so I could save on signal loss.

Hardly anyone needs two 8 port splitters which is very lossy.

Not all sellers are this good but there are some very good ones out there and you can save some bucks.

15. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Saw these in the CES threads what's different about them?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you see, and the loss of a [useless for the most part] LED.