1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CED... Ideas

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Hey, I need some ideas for a new CED Topic...

2. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
  3. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    User added functions (ala TiVoHMO)

4. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Free 61" HD Plasma when you sign up for HBO package for 6 mos Promo? :lol:

5. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    If that's the promo............i'll take the "12-month pkg". :D

6. JAWheat411

JAWheat411 Cool Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Hey
    Kinda new here, so I am not exactly sure what CED is. Could someone clue me in? This should be the perfect place for this question.
    Thanks

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    CED:
    Current Enhancement Discussions.

It is our way to foster productive discussion about features we would like to see in the R15 and future DirecTV DVRs

8. JAWheat411

JAWheat411 Cool Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Ok cool. And appareantly our discussions are relayed or at least monitored by someone close to, or directly related to DTV. Right? :)

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    DirecTV does read the forum here, and yes... some of us do have direct contacts at DirecTV.

10. mpitt

mpitt Mentor

Apr 13, 2006
    I love how my RCA receiver displays the original air date of the selected program in the info listing. It displays the exact date and not just the originating year.

11. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Bump

Hey Earl, whatever happened to CEDs? I know it's a type of "pie in the sky" discussion, but I do believe it's better than the DTV Marketing Dept lining up the future of this "advanced technology". After all, I'll bet those guys came up with the $7,500 deal didn't they? :eek2:

EDIT: Or, maybe a new CED listing any enhancements members would like to see and a CBD (Current Bug Discussion) listing the major bugs members are having problems with. Somewhat a recap of outstanding issues.

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I think some members decided that new features should NEVER be talked about until every bug is fixed. Even if these features are just being discussed as things we would like to see on some DVR at some point.

13. wbmccarty

wbmccarty Icon

Apr 27, 2006
    How does a discussion of new features relate to the topic "Support Q&A?" Wouldn't such a discussion be more appropriately placed in the General Forum?

More to the point at hand, I don't recall anyone advocating postponing such a discussion until "every bug is fixed." I myself don't think that such a state will ever occur. But, I do see the point of going easy on such discussions until the R15's basic functions seem to operate more reliably. Otherwise, the hoopla surrounding new features may drown out voices clamoring for more fundamental progress.

14. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I can understand the Enchancement debate. I doubt we're going to see anything there. But what about the bug list? There are bugs in the R15 that have been there since the beginning. Some complicated, some not. But what have we seen in the updates?

Really, since the R15's release, what concrete bugs have been fixed? I'm serious. Sure we've seen better general stability but what bugs have been fixed? Ok, let's not concern ourselves with bug fixes. Let's first look at the updates that have been released. Per the current FAQ we have the following updates being released:

Other than the 30 second slip, nothing in these releases pop into my mind. I cannot think of one bug fixed or one new feature in all of these release over the past 6 months. Yet we here have provided a list of bugs and features.

Can anyone else help my feable mind?

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I believe it relates to this forum as there is not a General Forum for the R15. And all of these items directly relate to the R15. If the admins here wish to create a R15 general forum and a R15 Support Q&A forum, that's up to them. But this is not a general DTV discussion....at least not yet. :)

16. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I have had the same thought Wolff, sometimes when we try and divide down topics the "general spirit" of a topic is muted. No personal thoughts on the matter myself :). But sometimes I do find myself reading some threads wondering why they are in this "folder."

Nonetheless, I'm sure the mods will take into account that the R20/HR20 (whenever / if ever, it arrives) will breed the need for a "General DirecTV DVR+" discussion option.

I do think "we are where we are" at this point is fine, and the CED is well-placed for the time-being. Given I gave up on my R15 months ago, it is still nice to offer suggestions (even if DTV could care less).

DUAL LIVE BUFFERS anyone :) :) :)???

17. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Not really a topic, but I'd love to be able to edit (commercials out of) my recordings. Particullarly, the shows my kids watch over and over.

The "industry" would love that feature, wouldn't they? ;)

18. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Is a new feature to be added to the R15? Yes it is

Hence it's part of the R15 Support and Discussion area.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing things that people would like to see added to the box. Regardless of if the major bugs are fixed or not. All I can suggest is that if yourself or others have issues with this type of discussion please feel free to either skip those threads or let one of the mods (myself included) know that the thread falls outside of the guidelines of discussion of the forum.

19. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    They do care what people would like to see added. Look at the whole 30 second Skip/Slip issue. There is no real issue with this sort of talk being in this area as it has to do with the R15 and only the R15. As for other threads if you think they should be moved please feel free to let myself, Earl or Donnie know and we will take care of it.

20. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm 99% sure we won't ever see that in the R15 or the HR20. I say that as I believe there are some core problems with the R15's logic in handling 2 tuners and the fact we loose the single live buffer when we play a recorded show. Cripe, on a DTivo you can play a recorded show and the two live buffers keep buffering. This leads me to believe there are some deep rooted problems in the multi-processing capabilities of either the hardware or software.

As I only have a single SAT connection, I'm wondering who has been recording two shows and watching a third and how the R15 was responding? When recording two shows how did the Find function work? How did maintenance on SLs work? Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.