1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Channel in Philadelphia??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cdavis0720, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdavis0720

cdavis0720 Godfather

Jun 25, 2006
    I was going through the guide this afternoon and noticed a new channel. Not new as in just started.... new as in new to DirecTV

WMGM- 40 (NBC affiliate out of Atlantic City,NJ)

I also saw WZPA 33 which I had never noticed before but that may have been there before.

Carl

2. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    WOW! :eek2: Lowly little ol' MGM has made the BIG TIME!

I worked there back in 1989-1990. Our studio was first in the same building as the transmitter, out in the marshes of South Jersey. We had so many mice we had a studio cat! Then we moved to a former warehouse behind the building Howard Greene bought for his new headquarters. It was just one of those prefab steel buildings that dot the landscape. MGM has never had a live truck... we were always waiting for a satellite truck NBC had promised they would give us... I think they're still waiting.

Oh, and WMGM is officially licensed to Wildwood, NJ, with the transmitter located in Swainton, NJ and the studios in Linwood, NJ. Atlantic City? Just a wish...

3. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Does anyone know if this channel will be going HD?

4. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    WMGM in HD? Whether they do or not, I highly doubt DirecTV will ever carry it in HD.

5. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    It's about time D* picked up this channel. Pretty much all the cable systems in South Jersey carry it.

6. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Only the cable systems in Southeast NJ servicing primarily Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland County carry it. But I agree its about time its on DirecTV. If anybody has time, can some one update the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMGM-TV k.

If I recall right, the local commercials are kinda low budget/cheesy on WMGM. I currently don't have DirecTV, but I will take a view of WMGM on DirecTV when I visit a family member that I know that has DirecTV. I don't think DirecTV would carry a HD feed for this channel, if it exists, as it'd take a lot of bandwidth, and one can just watch NBC HD from WCAU-HD and then watch the local news, if its local or of interest to you, from WMGM. Of course, one would miss the local commercials that are placed/run during network programming hours, but such are a few.

WZPA is a low powered station. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think its a real local station either, but instead is just a satellite of another station or the national network, with maybe some local advertising inserts at most.

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    WZPA has been on for quite a while. I blacked it out a long time ago.

I still wish D* would allow WGAL NBC-8 out of Lancaster. Every cable system in Chester County carries 'GAL, and it's more local in a lot of ways than Philly. If you're within 10 miles of an Amish home, you should be getting 'GAL.

I tried e-mailing D* to ask for 'GAL, but it was a no-go. So much for significantly viewed...

8. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I know a lot of people in Atlantic and Cumberland counties and they always tune to WCAU for NBC programming. It's hard to believe MGM even stays in business. I believe their OTA signal is pretty weak too.

9. PWenger

PWenger Legend

Jan 24, 2003
    WGAL would be great...I went to Millersville University, and that was the only station I could consistently get in the dorm with the old rabbit ears.

Wouldn't be Fashnact day without WGAL!

(If you ever lived in Lancaster, you'd understand...)

10. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    Mmmmm - Faschnacts!

(My last name is Herrmann, so I know exactly what you mean!)

11. biker

biker New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Cool!

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I live here.. I know exactly what you mean.

13. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Cumberland Co. is ancillary to WMGM but in Atlantic and Cape May Co., WMGM is on CH.4 and it gets visitor traffic, enough I suppose to stay in business:

3 CBS KYW
    4 NBC WMGM
    5 FOX WTXF
    6 ABC WPVI

However, with NBC HD, Comcast only carries WCAU-HD and ditto now with DirecTV. So those who watch HD in the 200s on Comcast are less likely to tune to WMGM. Who knows if that will obsolete WMGM over time.

Another reason to watch WCAU over WMGM is the difference in newscasts and commercials. WMGM is like the Shore Mall, WCAU is like the King of Prussia Mall.

But most importantly I'd guess is that all of Southern NJ is very Philly oriented. I suppose with the NJ Transit connections, the buses, the commuters going to towns north, and ppl from Philly who vacation and tourist and bring money down to the Shore, makes it part of the greater Philadelphia area, Delaware Valley. Compare that to Allentown, which the Census doesn't classify as part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. It's more different up there too, even though both Allentown and Philly share the PA commonality. In the Lehigh Valley, a lot of ppl tune to watch WFMZ 69 for news, and then tune to Philly stations for network TV.

14. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    but at least WFMZ has HD local news whereas NBC-owned WCAU (NBC, Philly) STILL doesn't have HD local news.

NBC is so freakin' cheap.

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If you want to see something very entertaining, watch WYBE (35.1) on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for all of the Bollywood movies.

16. 1kyardstare

1kyardstare AllStar

Jan 11, 2008
    Go 'Ville. I went there too - WGAL would be nice to have in Philly too. it Not sure why it would be nice just feel "homey" I guess.

I second the opinion though - get more of these locals in HD.

17. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    WFMZ from Allentown has great local HD news that I pick up OTA, but it's still not on D*.

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Why not try OTA and see if you can get WGAL-DT? I live b/w Lancaster and Harrisburg and I can get the Philly DT stations OTA.

19. Jammasterd

Jammasterd AllStar

Jul 6, 2006
    No, I asked one of the NBC40 reporter guys .

He said that they do not have HD cameras.

20. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i get all sorts of stations with my OTA pointed to philly..even far away NJ stations were easier to get with my initial tuning issues.

until recently i didnt know it wasnt possible to get these stations with my hr20 since the hdtivo has always been setup (and some channels blocked)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.