1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Channel to be added - Starfish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by manicd, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
    EchoStar unveiled plans to add The Starfish Television Network to its DISH Network satellite TV platform. Starfish, the company said, is the only channel dedicated to providing information and news about charitable and other worthy causes to educate and entertain viewers.

DISH said Starfish Television Network's programming comes from the 1.5 million non-profit organizations across the country. Content airing on the network will fall into one of three categories: existing programming already produced by the organizations, co-op programming where new content is created with Starfish and the non-profits, and original programming produced by the network itself.

According to DISH, The Starfish Television Network has several strategic non-profit partners contributing programming to the net including:

Muscular Dystrophy Association, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association, Operation Smile, Points of Light Foundation, Profiles in Caring, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Difference Makers International, Children's Miracle Network, Mothers without Borders, National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Wheelchair Foundation, Physicians for Peace, Airline Ambassadors, Beating the Odds Foundation, Camie Awards, and Adventist Development and Relief Agency International (ADRA).

For more information, visit http://www.starfishtv.org.

2. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    another useless channel

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    CH9408 already up and broadcasting.

4. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Is it on sat 61.5? I dont have it on my recievers.

5. angiecopus

angiecopus Legend

May 18, 2004
    Glad i don't get it then sounds like a boring channel.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    9408 is on 61.5° and 129° ... not on 148°

They are paying for their space (like any other PI) so they might as well be there.
    Besides ... that's the way the government wants it! :)

7. nuzzy

nuzzy AllStar

Aug 29, 2004
    WOOHOO!! YES!!! Another channel that we don't need!!!!!!!! Way to go Charlie!!!

8. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    A necessary evil. Its a public interest channel and they needed to add one after RFD was changed from PI to regular channel. They are required to carry a certain percentage of these channels.

9. thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    Glad I bailed to d* when I see dish add crap like this and still not carry logo. It will be interesting to see if they get more then 2 viewers for this one.

10. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    You know, that disgusts me. This new PI channel supports many of the charitable organizations that help children with disabilities, health problems, and other issues that you don't appear to care about. The Starfish Channel is indeed promising as I for one support some of those organizations.

I don't care that its a PI channel, but its not useless, and its not crap. People who have donated to these organizations or have been helped out will find great benefit from this channel, and you don't appear to see that. Its like you don't care for those who have been helped by say, MDA or Children's Miracle Network. Another thing, Im sure the channel won't be boring. Its gonna have stuff filled with hope, optimism, and maybe even a few scientific breakthroughs for diseases like Muscular Dystrophy or Autism.

If you say the channel is usesless, its like saying all those organizations behind the channel are usesless as well. :mad:

11. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    Don't take it out of context, the organizations are not the issue, we get all this crap at work tv commercials signs everywhere on helpin people, it don't belong on TV, thats why I won't watch it, I want good programming, not another ploy on gettin more money out of my pocket

12. elbodude

elbodude Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Great! But where is my FSN HD!!!??

13. MURF

MURF Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I've got a wonderfully talented Dish Network Installer on my roof right now installing 61.5 so I can get all the Public Interest Channels that Dish carries. Public Interest Channels are a superb source of information, infinitely more accurate and objective than corporate owned media whose sole objective is profit for the parent company. The media in the USA is now officially an oligopoly, down to 5 major corporations from 50, 25 years ago. This is a very scary reality. This mass consolidation of media is a major threat to this Republic. If you haven't really watched these channels I would encourage you to search the listings for these various channels, record a few programs and see what you think. Here is a link to a list of the various free public interest channels and the sat. locations for each. I especially like LinkTV and BYUTV. Tolerance and respect for others is often demanded by all and given by few. Have a great day everyone, it's a gorgeous day here in Portland, Oregon. :D :D :D

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm

Murf
    dish 500 w/ 2 legacy duals @ 110/119
    dish 500 w/ 1 legacy dual @ 61.5
    64 switch
    7200, 7200 (all Legacy gear)

14. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Darn... I was hoping for another shopping channel!

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    To all those that are complaining about a public information channel - this will make your life more relaxing and enjoyable. Cancel dish now, no, not tomorrow, now. Bad news for you is the odds is Dish will add or change other Public Interest channels in the future. So to save your self the time of writing a post each time complaining, if you would just switch now to Direct TV you would be so much more happy, as apprarently some feel Direct TV and Cable do not have public interest channels. And getting a Public Interest channel is not preventing Dish from carrying YES or FSN HD.

16. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I HAVE SUPPORTERS! :)

17. nuzzy

nuzzy AllStar

Aug 29, 2004
    I know, sorry. I'm just venting...I REALLY need NESN HD!

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are options ...

19. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Odds are that D* will add it as well. I can't believe people are complaining about this channel. What gives?

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It's a public interest channel. I never go there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.