1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New, Cool Video of Shuttle Launch as seen from the SRBs

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Commemorating a new Blu-Ray release, it appears.

Watch the whole thing. It's pretty cool.

[youtubehd]2aCOyOvOw5c[/youtubehd]

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That was great. Those are some stout cameras. Never know those things kept sputtering out fire all the way down.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree. I think that's the coolest video I've ever seen of the launch.

4. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the video. :)

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Great video. I witnessed two shuttle launches (one day, one night). Very spectacular. It's a pity the current administration has no foresight with space exploration.

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Great video. The sounds are almost creepy.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    ADMIN NOTE: Political commentary deleted.

But there IS a bright side. If Elon Musk's SpaceX company keeps going on the roll that they're on, they will have developed a complete launch system to supply the ISS with cargo for less than the price of ONE Shuttle launch. They're already working on upgrading the Dragon capsule to make it man-rated.

With his plans for the Falcon-Heavy, even the *Chinese* are wondering how he can launch so much tonnage for so little cost.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Great video. I've often wondered if NASA publishes a 'Notice to Mariners' to attempt to clear the Atlantic down-range or something more intensive?

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Absolutely incredible. It's so very sad we are no longer flying the shuttles. I followed the manned space program since it's inception (was in 6th grade when Shepard took the first flight) and I really miss it. My only disappointment is I never saw a launch. We were down there when one of the first test shuttles was on the gantry and took a tour but we were kept way back.

If you're ever in the DC area go to the The Smithsonian Air And Space Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport. My daughter lives out there and the first time we went, a couple years ago, they had just rolled the Shuttle (Enterprise) into the museum and it was just "parked" inside. You really can't appreciate it unless you see it in person.

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    We got passes from our Congress woman and went down to the last night launch - I'm thinking it was July of 2010 - stayed from Tuesday through three scrubs and had to come back Friday. It launched that night!

But just being in the complex was awesome. I could stay for days in the Air and Space section in DC but haven't been yet to the Dulles complex.

I can also remember sitting in the 5th or 6th grade with an earphone up my sleeve from a 6 transistor radio (! pocket size ! if you had big pockets) listening to the Shepard, Grissom and Glenn launches. I think we may have watched the Glenn on the big B&W TV.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I liked Dulles much better then A&S in DC. Lots more actual aircraft and space stuff like one of the Gemini capsules. There are also number of private museum hangers with all kinds of amazing stuff just parked there. I believe you need those same type of passes to get that "backstage" tour. We got to see one of the many hangers just by chance but couldn't go any further.

12. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I agree 150%! The Udvar-Hazy center at Dulles is just amazing.

The Enola Gay, an SR-71 Blackbird, Concorde and (for just a few more weeks) Enterprise ... Plus a 707, and lots of other goodies as well.

On April 17th, the Space Shuttle Discovery will arrive at Dulles to be added (permanently) to the Udvar-Hazy collection. Enterprise will then move to the Intrepid Air & Space Museum in New York (YES!)

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/discovery/

I'm so excited that Enterprise will be in my back yard. The Intrepid has some great exhibits and Enterprise just puts it over the top.

I had the absolute pleasure of seeing STS-125 (Atlantis' last mission to Hubble) lift off in May 2009. My dad and I made the trek down to Cape Canaveral for the launch - it is absolutely one of the most memorable things I've ever done. My dad and I both are space nuts and this was one of those lifelong dreams fulfilled. Words fail to describe just how awe-inspiring the launch is. It's surreal - just so amazing.

I'm avoiding any political commentary, but the way we've given up our manned spaceflight program due to "risk" signals to me just how little regard the general public has for science. Ask an astronaut whether they're afraid to fly the shuttle or not.

13. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Very cool indeed. Great video Lord Vader. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Thanks, LV , for posting this. Awesome, indeed! It prompted me to search Youtube for more footage of Shuttle launches. There are quite a few worth seeing, including this one of Endeavour. as seen from SRB cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFviVTlAsE

15. mnHawk8

mnHawk8 New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Wow, that's pretty cool.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    That makes me jealous. Wow, didn't know they were swapping Shuttles. Can't quite understand the logic though ... a shuttle is a shuttle and all the money they are going to spend to move it seems strange. Guess there must be a reason.

You think the manned space program was stopped for "risk" and not for "funds?" Or maybe it was because they didn't want to "risk" the funds. :)

17. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Risk was an excuse... Ultimately, it was because our Congress has no balls.

As for swapping, they're not really all the same. Enterprise (the one currently at Udvar-Hazy and moving to the Intrepid) never actually went to space - it was used for glider testing, but never was actually launched. The Smithsonian wants one that's "been there, done that."

So the Intrepid gets a second prize, but an awesome second prize!

This is one of the photos I took of the launch. Keep in mind that the launch site is about 7 miles away from the pad, give-or-take. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it was! Photos and videos do it absolutely NO justice.

Attached Files:

18. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Very cool video. Thanks for posting.

19. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    You're quite welcome.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Not quite.

Way Back When - you might remember the Constellation program. One of NASA's options was to continue flying the Shuttle until Constellation was ready to go. The problem was, there was no way that Congress was going fund both at once. The additional problem was that Constellation would require facilities that were used by the Shuttle so they would have to build more facilities. Therefore, to save money, the Shuttle had to go so that Constellation development could take up the space.

Of course, Constellation went away. Orion (the capsule) was rescued as a political favor and development continues on that.

So now we have NO NASA-based manned space program - even on the horizon. *Except* - look up Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's flown and recovered his Dragon capsule (the only private company to EVER recover a spacecraft that has orbited the Earth) and is working on improving the Dragon to make it man-rated. NASA has awarded SpaceX a contract and more might be on the way. At the end of April, Dragon flies again to link up with the ISS. The implications, if it succeeds are ENORMOUS.