1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New counter top

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1 of 34
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We had a leaky kitchen faucet. Under our home warranty, a plumber came out to replace it. When he removed the old faucet, the sink underneath it was rusted so bad that chunks of it fell out. The warranty company won't let them install the new faucet on the (now) holey sink.

We have an old 70s yellow bumpy tile counter. The sink is tiled in place. To remove the sink requires cutting out the tile. This tile is no longer made (thankfully). So we can try to save the 40 year old tile edge pieces or get a new counter top.

So the wife says, "Let's just get a new counter top.":eek2:

There are so many options for tops that I'd thought I'd ask here. Anyone have opinions of what type of counter top to get? Anyone familiar with the pros and cons of the different types?:confused:

2. Nov 9, 2011 #2 of 34
    klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    We like Corian with the integrated sink. No seams to clean.

3. Nov 9, 2011 #3 of 34
    kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Look into the new Quartz tops. No sealing like with granite.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #4 of 34
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    One of the new artificial tops would be my generic choice. They look like stone, wear like granite, and don't have to be sealed.

Either that, or find something unique. That's what I did. I bought a marble counter top from a local quarry that looks unique and has fossils that are 480 million years old. It also was cheaper than either granite or one of the artificial counters. I do have to seal it once a year but that takes just a few minutes.

Biesanz Stone

5. Nov 9, 2011 #5 of 34
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Formica and Wilsonite are the old laminate standbys. However, I'd go with Corian. Take a trip over to Lowe's if you have one in your area. They'll have samples of all types of countertops.
    Sinks can be a problem. I've had cast iron, stainless and acrylic sinks, and my personal preference is a top mounted stainless steel sink. We currently have an acrylic sink and my daughter in-law regrets having changed her mind from stainless steel. Acrylic chips and scratches easily. If you should decide upon stainless steel, don't go on the cheap. Get a first quality heavy duty model, with deep bowl and a flat bottom. They last a long time.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #6 of 34
    balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    There's a lot you still need to consider.

1. What's your budget?
    2. What kind of sink will you be getting?
    3. What kind of use (or abuse) do you give your countertop?
    4. What will best fit your existing kitchen without creating a severe case of upgraditis?
    I feel that a quartz countertop can't be beat for low maintenance and a high tolerance for abuse, plus it looks as good as almost any granite. But it's expensive.

Also, you need to consider how well a stone countertop (or any counter type) fits in with the rest of your kitchen's decor. If you don't, everything else may start looking like crap.

7. Nov 9, 2011 #7 of 34
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    One other thing to consider is how well you like the cabinets. I would not puts lots of money into countertops if you hate the cabinets. Our neighbors did that and ended up wishing they hadn't.

One other option that is nice, but not as expensive is using granite or quartz tiles. I tiled our downstairs bar with Silestone tiles that matched our kitchen countertops. Looks almost as good at a fraction of the price.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Have Corain, but would go with Quartz if I had a do over. But both are good.

Have molded-in sinks. Don't know if you can gets those with Quartz.

But whatever you do, don't go back to tile!

9. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    When we built this house about 5 years ago Corian was the only one with the seamless integrated sinks. We have them in all our bathrooms as well. I don't know any of the other synthetic manufacturers have added something similar since then.

10. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Another option that can be pretty cheap is concrete countertops. It can be poured in pretty cheaply and colors can be mixed in for different looks. They are sealed and can be used for cooking, baking, etc. without worry of germs stuck in cracks. Best of all, no seams! I wish I had done that instead of granite.

11. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We went with granite last year. Couldn't be happier. Looks stunning and the yearly sealing isn't a big deal.

12. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The new granite we looked at has fused sealant in the stone. Its guaranteed for 15 years to remain sealed. Our cabinets are OK but need a repaint - that's a job for another day.

After looking at our local home stores (Lowes, HD, etc), the wife has decided the we must get granite. Joy. We looked at a bunch and still can't seem to decide on color/pattern.

Did you know they charge extra to put anything put a flat edge on granite? I didn't!

We are getting a cool new double stainless undermount sink and new faucet.

All in all I could get 2 new 65 inch plasmas instead...

13. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    If your cabinets are dark, you'll need a light countertop. Light cabinets can go with almost everything. But if go totally light, your backsplash should be dark.

14. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Only difference is, 10 years from now, those plasma screens will be worthless.

15. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I couldn't agree more. When we remodeled the kitchen 4 years ago my wife (who likes to cook and insisted on top of the line appliances, etc.) was dead set on Quartz because you don't have to seal it and it looks a lot like granite. Then we went to the local granite / stone super-store and we both instantly fell in love with the look of granite. It's easily worth the hour or so to re-seal it every year and you don't have to worry about putting extremely hot pans right on it. We almost went with a cast iron sink but ended up going high-grade SS undermount instead.

I don't think a single person that's walked into our kitchen has failed to comment on how beautiful and unique the counter tops are.

16. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I don't think that's necessarily always true. Some dark colors compliment other dark colors very well. I do agree it's best to try to put some contrasting element in the mix though like dark cabinet, dark top, light / shiny backsplash, etc.

17. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    We have a concrete bar / counter top in our basement and while it looks very cool (red, silver and clear glass bits embedded in it) it was almost as expensive as some granite and it is not as scratch resistant as granite. The biggest downside to it in my opinion though is the mess they make while grinding it all down - which took several days in our case. They put up a bunch of plastic but the whole basement was under construction so the mess wasn't as big of a deal, which is good because there was a lot of dust the escaped the plastic sheeting.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    FWIW
    I have a Corstone acrylic sink. I bought it for the unique depth and faucet hole style. I will never buy it again. It develops a spiderweb of small cracks and lines in the basin that become difficult to keep clean and eventually start to get rough in texture.

19. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    There's no always in decorating. You just try to avoid the extremes of too dark or too light.

20. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We decided on granite. It's called White Springs and is an off white background with gray and black random threads with an occassional metallic fleck (gold/silver). It blends beautifully with the stainless appliances and our floor.

After installation, the next subject will be backsplashes and cabinet color!