1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Customer: Couple of Quick Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bob13654, Jun 25, 2010.

1. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    I haven't been with DirecTV since about 2004. I left for cable while they were broadcasting "HD Lite" and shutting off channels on Sundays for Sunday Ticket.

At any rate, I understand things have improved greatly and my cable provider, Cox, is way behind the times on advanced features and I'm tired of waiting.

So here are a few questions that I hope someone will help me out with.

1. How is the PQ these days compared to some of the better cable providers? Is D* still broadcasting HD Lite?

2. With the Whole Home DVR, I have to connect a DECA module to my network, but all video traffic goes through the cables not the network, correct? Is it constantly using bandwidth on the network or only when streaming? I stream my BD rips, which require a lot of bandwidth, off my server to several media players in my home, gigabit network, and am concerned that the DVRs may be constantly creating traffic on the network even though I may not be streaming from box to box at that time.

3. Can you turn off the front displays on the HR24s? That's a lot of light coming off a box in a dark bedroom.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

One last thing. What are the odds that Google TV will work with DirecTV's DVR?

2. Dradran

Dradran AllStar

Apr 21, 2010
    1. DirecTv no longer broadcasts in HD-lite. The picture quality for HD is great, some people say SD could use some improvement but I don't watch SD so I cannot comment.

2. Whole Home DVR uses its own network via the coax cable ran in your house. It should not effect your home network. The network connection is for streaming Video on Demand, ordering PPV and such. Realistically, you don't even have to connect your receivers to your Ethernet network if you don't need these services.

3. No idea, I do not have a HR24, however on the HR21 you can turn off the obnoxiously bright blue light on the front.

HTH,

3. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Re the bright blue light..... Since the HR's can operate in RF mode, you could mount the box to the back of a LCD, or put it in a cabinet. My HR-23 is inside of a console unit, behind a solid door, and have no problems in RF mode.

4. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Yes, they turn off the same way the other HR2x models do. Press the left side of the circle and at the same time, press the right side four times. All of the lights except a faint Directv logo will go out. The record button, when lit, is very faint.

5. sibby3

sibby3 New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    i live in hampton roads my cable co is also cox.i switched to directv about 2 months ago i like it alot. cox is so far behind its not funny things are always coming soon an they never show up.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    bob13654, welcome back. :hi:

Here is a thread from a little while ago on Google TV. The answer to your question is unlikely.