1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New customer genie questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nydennis, Dec 15, 2012.

1. nydennis

nydennis Cool Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Returned to DTV after a few years. Had the genie installed today with 3 additional clients. The installer told me a few things and one of which was false so figured I'd ask here.

He mentioned that if I'm watching live tv on all 3 clients and the sever that I couldn't record more then 1 show. If I was watching 2 clients live tv I could only record 3 shows at a time. Is this true?

He also said I couldn't rewind live tv in the other rooms but I showed hom I could.

Is there normally a 3-5 second delay switching channels on the clients?

2. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Quite the well-informed ambassador you had there.

That channel change speed is comparable to mine.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    When a c31 is watching live TV or is in the buffer, it's using a tuner from the HR34, so if all three clients are watching live, then the tuners wouldn't be available to record something else on the HR34. Not sure if that's the case if they were watching the same thing.

There are both benefits and downsides to using a c31 or receivers.

4. nydennis

nydennis Cool Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Thanks just checking

Thanks I figured it might be something like that. I haven't had a chance to record anything to see how it works just yet. I wish the clients changed the channel faster but I can live with it.

5. Dahammer

Dahammer Cool Member

Aug 14, 2011
    True. 3 clients live + Genie live = 4 tuners in use, so only 1 left to record.

True. Again, the Genie has 5 tuners.

But if you are recording something that you are also watching live, then that only uses 1 tuner.

Yep.