1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New customer, hr24, dvr playback very pixelated, where to start?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by arw4f, Sep 21, 2010.

1. arw4f

arw4f New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    I have had dtv service for about 2 weeks now. Until the other night I was totally thrilled. The multi room viewing is cool although I mostlynjust use the main tv. The other is just a HD receiver hooked to my sd tv.

Problems last night were with the playback from buffer or recorded shows. No external disk. Shows were very pixelated however live tv was solid.

I rebooted the unit to no avail. Are there suggestions for where to start or threads I should read through? I've searched and found a lot of conversation but nothing particularly concrete.

Thanks for any help!!
    Adam

2. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Call DTV for a replacement - it sounds like a problem with the hard drive to me. They may want to send someone out to take a look at the signal and connection. You can also post your signal strengths here for someone to review.

3. arw4f

arw4f New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    I will call DTV tonight. Also, it appears I have HR24/200 with 0x40d.

System test reports 2 tests failed:
    diagnostic code 48-72-938
    1. router receivers have reduced network performance (which is odd b/c it's direct wired to the main router. also, I wonder about the network connection - it goes through this little box and comes into the receiver over coax...not familiar with that setup).
    2. cannot detect phone dial tone (which makes sense since I don't have the phone line setup and am counting on the network connection)

space reports 79% free.

Is there a specific/better receiver I should look to get and are these issues well-known etc?

Thanks!

4. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    The receiver is hooked up to your network using DECA. This allows internet over the coax cabling and is much better/faster for multi room viewing than having the standard ethernet going into the receiver. The HR24 is the latest and greatest out there - I would make sure that you get that model again, it sounds like your problem is just a fluke.

Good Luck!

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You may not receive another HR24 and that would indeed be a BUMMER!!!

You are NOT Guaranteed that a Replacement will be the same type or model DVR which is a Crock!!!

6. arw4f

arw4f New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Well I got another hr24 and the problem is gone. And so are my recordings. Oh well.
    The question I have now is how do I force the new DVR to show online so I can record from the web and iPhone app... Only my other family room device shows online now. Ugh!

I've tried resetting, renaming, renaming it online, resetting network settings... I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?