1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Customer - Preferred Choice v. Choice Package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Kricket, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    hello everyone,

well - i finally decided to leave the stinkfest that is dish network and im seeking greener pastures with directv

at any rate - im interested in getting an international package and i see this makes me eligible for a few super cheap plans - im wondering if theres a catch somewhere

in looking at the preferred choice package for 14.95/month - it looks like i pretty much get all of the channels i want in the 120 that are included

i realize that the choice package has 30 extra channels somewhere - but is that the only difference? at half the price, im really leaning towards the preferred choice package

also - can i add a hd-dvr to that package? i know this means an extra $15.00/month ($10 for hd and $5 for dvr use)- but again, if my reasoning is correct, then for $30/month, i would get 120 channels as well as hd and dvr access - is that correct?

i know that i have to add an international package on top of all of this, but again, this was my plan from the beginning - so either way i go, im adding another $22/month on top of my plan for the international package...

2. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    You'll have to sub to an international channel to get Pref Choice. Myx (Filipino music) is the cheapest at $5.

3. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    yes, one of the notable channel I missed during NFl season was NFL network which is is Choice but not preferred choice. And I don't get the RSNs which you get with Choice (Infact I have posted another question just today about this)

yes, you can add hd-dvr to the package

4. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    ^ oh crap - i didnt realize nfl network wasnt on the list - ill definitely miss that channel - but the rest of the package seems like a pretty darn good deal

i wish i would have realized directv offered polish programming - last time i checked, they didnt so i havent even considered switching until now

5. jlatham

jlatham Mentor

Oct 8, 2008
    Will they make you put up a second dish if you want to switch to the preferred choice? It would save me some money per month if I downgraded from choice to preferred choice. It would save me 15 bucks a month if this worked.

6. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
  7. Kricket

Kricket Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    thanks for all of the help and info - i called up today and finally set up service - someone's coming out next saturday to set everything up

the deal seems almost too good to be true:
    - 1 free hd receiver
    - 1 free hd-dvr
    - 1 year of free showtime
    - and when i look at the account online - it looks like i also got the hbo and starz 3-month deal tacked on as well

ill be paying about $25/month less than im paying with dish - and ill be getting almost twice as many channels!

i cannot WAIT to get rid of dish network once and for all