1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Customer - Refurbished HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Gaurhoth, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Gaurhoth

Gaurhoth New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I just had DTV installed today after tiring of waiting on TW to get the Big10 and lack of HD channels that I want to watch compared to DTV.

So the installers came and went. Small snag where the installers tried to blame existing wiring for a low signal strength (in the 70-80 range)... until I pointed out that the feed they ran themselves showed the same low signal. They re-aimed the dish and the world was good.

... Until after they left and I took a look at the HD-DVR unit. It's an HR20-100 REFURBISHED. I'm paying an awful lot of money at the start to get rolling with HD (compared to TW's no upfront cost HD-DVR boxes). These units have NO warranty that I know of (unless you pay for the protection plan), so I find it a bit bizarre that I'm required to assume the risk of a refurb unit.

Also, should I be concerned about any features coming out for HR21 and NOT HR20 in near future? I hate the thought of being a few years behind right out of the gate.

So my questions: Is this normal for them to provide refurb units to NEW customers? ... And should I fight it?

Gaurhoth

2. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Both new and refurbished have 90 day warranties.

3. kw2957

kw2957 Godfather

Apr 4, 2008
    I don't mean to add fuel to a potential fire, but I would fight it if I were you. The majority of people get new HD DVRs when they sign up; that's what you're paying for. Now, if you're swapping it for something else, like an old HR10 or a non-working unit, that would be a different story. However under your circumstances, I think you would have nothing to lose by calling D* and asking for a NEW HR21 (make sure they don't try to add another commitment). Good luck!

4. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    I have an hr20-700 refurbished that seems to work as well as my new hr20-700 so no worries there.
    Most folks would prefer the hr20 to an hr21 due to its internal ota tuners. Right now I would say that the hr20 unit (refurbished) is better than any hr21.
    Even though you got a refurb unit you got the better deal!

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    New or used really doesn't matter, the boxes are DirecTvs. Both have the same 90 day warrenty.

As for the commitment? Really? Oh no, they extended the commitment by two weeks. :eek2: :rolleyes:

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Most new customers arn't paying any startup costs for HD DVR's right now, plus they get the NFL Sunday ticket promo.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    :welcome_s Gaurhoth

HR20's are hard to come by. Keep it if it functions fine. Has the OTA tuner where HR21's do not.

But if you paid $99 or more for it, I'd call, be very nice and politely ask them to review the $99 for a used product when you know some folks get the new products for the same price.

Maybe they will give you credits

8. Gaurhoth

Gaurhoth New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Another question - should I have received an RF antenna (for remote) with the unit? I see the jack for it, but the installer left nothing.

Is there anything that can be picked up locally that would serve well (I tried a piece of cheaply shielded coax with limited success).

Gaurhoth

9. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    The antenna originally came with a RF remote kit, Just a wire sticking 10" beyond the shield should work well for the RF remote antenna.

If you are in range setting up an "Off The Air" antenna is a good backup for rain fade and extra channels. :)

10. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I did not get a RF antenna with my HR21 remote. I would definately hold on to the HR20 because if wish to add a decent outdoor antenna you will find that most OTA HD is noticably better than compressed cable/sat HD. Re. a refurbised unit: I worked in QC for a major PC company and probably 80% of returns are due to customers not knowing how to operate unit or changing their mind about purchase, On testing, good units are marked "refurbished" and defective units are trashed. It is no longer cost effective to repair consumer electronics. Try to get some kind of credit and keep the HR20!

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    People are too scared of refurbs IMO, most are better than new from many companies as they have been QC checked twice ;)

Also the HR20 is not behind the HR21 at all, in fact it is almost the other way around in the beta firmware tests as the HR20 tends to get things first. Both have the same capabilities and will get the same features down the line, only differences are that the HR21 lacks OTA and is black vs. most HR20s are silver and have OTA built in.

12. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

the rf capable receivers never come with an rf antenna, something I never understood for as long as I worked for them.

13. HansYupp

HansYupp New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Ya, maybe.

I also received a refurbed hr20-100 during my recent HD upgrade. it had a constant low signal on Tuner 2. So, after a bunch of cable swapping, phone calls and a 3min tech visit I was sent another one. It did the same thing, but constantly dropped audio as well. It took another tech visit and replacing all the cabling for me to get a new hr21. so far I haven't lost any channels and audio is constant.

14. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Well as far as the techs end of it goes, I'm sure your work order said HD-DVR Combo, they don't say new or refurbished. It's just what the techs warehouse had in stock that day.

+1

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I was not afraid to get my HR20 referb with my install. I requested a HR20 knowing that if I did get one that was what it would be. My installer offered to set up the RF but I said naw. I wish I would of know. I was interested in ordering one of the NFL remotes D* is offering and say on the site that it comes with the RF antenna that is needed. I think I will go with that.

16. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not so sure about the QC on the refurbs. When I first signed up for HD last summer I went through a new HR20-100 and 2 other refurbed HR20-700s before I finally got a refurbed HR20-700 with no problems. The other 3 (1 new and 2 refurbs) all had issues.

17. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You won't get anywhere. It is what they do. We used to get trucks full of refurbs.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Just a couple of things to consider:

- You pay a fixed, up-front lease fee for your DirecTV HD-DVR. With cable, you pay a much higher monthly fee, which never ends.

- Cable companies deploy refurbs as a normal part of business, and have since the cable box was invented.

- In both cases, the boxes still belong to the company, not the customer. In both cases, if they fail, they'll be replaced. With DirecTV, if you don't have the Protection Plan, you have to pay for shipping.

19. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, you never know. Some refurb programs are better than others and I honestly have no experience with Directvs so I dont know for sure.

Examples of very good refurb programs:
    Apple
    Canon Cameras
    Lenovo Computers