1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New customer, unhappy with picture..help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MysteryCereal, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 3, 2007 #1 of 88
    MysteryCereal

MysteryCereal Cool Member

May 3, 2007
    Hello all, and thanks for having a forum like this to help people like me out. I recently purchased a Samsung LN-S4695D TV and had DirecTv installed a few weeks back. Now I knew getting into it, regular SD channels would not look great but I didn't think it would be this bad. My TV supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p but for some reason, when I switch to a 480i/p format on my DVR, my TV says "No Signal". I verified that my TV was capable of running 480p by connecting my PS3 into it and playing a regular DVD. Pressing the "info" button on my TV's remote tells me it is running at 720 x 480p so I know it is indeed capable of it. Is this a common problem? Is it my TV's fault or my HR-20's? Also, my HD channels look very washed out with alot of noise in the background. Blu-ray and HD-DVD movies look great on the TV but watching shows like Planet Earth on HD was quite disappointing to see so much pixelation during scenes with alot of movement like birds flocking together. Am I expecting too much from DirecTv's HD quality? Thanks for any help or input from y'all, I'm at my wits ends.

2. May 3, 2007 #2 of 88
    Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm no expert, but I had some issues with my picture during scenes that moved quick like a basketball game. I upgraded to higher quality HDMI cables and they went away. I don't know what cables you have, but that was the difference maker for me.

3. May 3, 2007 #3 of 88
    bnglbill

bnglbill Icon

Nov 29, 2006
    The Quality of HD from D should match that of your blue ray pretty closely. The picture should not have any fuzz or noise at all. You should check all of your cables. Try to swap the cable from the blue ray disc player with the hr20 if the picture is bad, I would have the installer come back and check everything.

4. May 3, 2007 #4 of 88
    MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    I was afraid of that. I have switched and tried all the HDMI cables I have, even a couple Monster Component cables I had lying around. Same crappy picture.

5. May 3, 2007 #5 of 88
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    As a reference, Discovery HD Theater should be stunning on D* most of the time. ESPN-HD is not up to snuff much of the time.

Try swapping cables, try setting Native OFF (in HR20) and match up the resolution of your HR20 to the display capabilities of your TV. (its native maximum).

If your TV has a native resolution of:

720p, set HR20 at 720p (use front panel res button)

1080i, set HR20 at 1080i

1080p, set HR20 at 1080i

This is just a starting point...

Then go into your TV on the input you use for HDTV, and set the following if your TV is DLP:

Sharpness: 0
    Contrast:80
    Brightness: 50
    Color Warmth: to taste
    Noise Reduction: OFF

If it isn't a DLP, still set Sharpness to 0 and Noise Reduction OFF, the other values you will have to experiment with.

If you have OTA capability (antenna), try tuning in a nature program on your local PBS and the pix quality should be outstanding (you are then not even looking at D* at this point). If your TV has an internal tuner, use it to look at some HD and see what you think (again, you aren't using D* at all at this point)

There is no way D* HD should be awful. It isn't as good as OTA (most of the time), but it should be quite impressive, nevertheless. If that's not happening, something is wrong. Just don't use ESPN or TNT-HD as your reference, as the quality of both is lacking via D*.

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 88
    John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Can you by any chance receive OTA channels in HD? If so, do you still get the same quality picture?

I can say I have 3 HR20-700s, and three different HDTVs and they ALL look spectacular, especially on Discovery HD. :)

Cheers,
    John

7. May 3, 2007 #7 of 88
    JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    Is your TV displaying your HD in 16:9 zoom? If yes, that magnifies everything a bit and introduces some grain

8. May 3, 2007 #8 of 88
    MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    Unfortunately I have not purchased an OTA antenna yet so other then Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, I have nothing to compare it to expect the HD my friends receive. All of whom have told me somethings wrong with my setup. Attached is a pic of Planet Earth in 1080i and for comparison, PS3 in 1080p. Hopefully it shows some of the pixelation I'm getting. Sorry my digital camera is pretty crappy.

Attached Files:

9. May 3, 2007 #9 of 88
    MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    It is in regular 16:9, not zoom. Could it be the signal quality in my area is subpar? My Sat Signal strength is around 89. Does that make a difference? Also, how much will they charge me to come out and check things out. Sorry for all the questions, this thing has made an otherwise above average tech guy feel like a complete noob.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Signal level shouldn't matter, at least with a grainy picture. You will drop audio and get severe pixilation with a weak signal. Does your TV save the picture settings by input? Have you tried swapping inputs on the TV? Do you have Native on or off? What display settings do you have selected? What resolution does the HR20 say it's outputting on DHDT (LED on front panel)?

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    What epsidoe is that picture from? Any idea how far into the epdisode it is? I have them all (well, most of them) recorded, so I was going to find that same frame as a comparison.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    So I found that exact scene, and it looks equally crappy on my TV. Certainly not up to par with the other Planet Earth episodes I have seen. What other HD stuff have you watched?

13. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    Discovery HD is my "test" HD channel. I find their broadcast the most crisp. From what you have described, it seems like the TV, not the HR20. With HD, you might see pixilation (squares within a picture that freeze), which is a condition of not all the digital signal getting through. Grainy or fuzzy are not typical artifacts of HD content but of TV settings.

14. MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007

I have had native off and on and it doesn't seem to make a difference on the quality. I don't believe my TV saves the settings because the signal changes from 720p to 1080i depending on which hd channel. I think that is what you meant. The screencap was from Fresh Waters about 15 min in.

15. MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    Most of the other Planet Earths. And the all seem to look equally as pixelated.

Well my HD channels seem to be a mix of grainy video and pixelation. It would make sense to blame it on the TV, but I don't understand why all my other HD content would look crystal clear. Time to sell it all at a yard sale :p

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Let's go back to basics here.
    What are your transponder power levels from the 110 SAT? There should be three.
    Next I would use the cables that came with the HR-20, component, & maybe a HDMI.
    Then I'd set the native to off and use the remote to cycle through all of the resolutions with the format button.
    let us know what you see with all of these steps, please.

17. MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    They are 87 89 88. With native off, the resolution stays the same(whatever the last format was I chose) If you meant native on, then it switched between 720p and 1080i depending on what the HD channel is sending it as. It is connected thru HDMI.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Try turning native off, and manually cycling through the formats using the button on the remote. See if that makes any difference.

19. MysteryCereal

May 3, 2007
    Haha nope, I think I've tried every possible setting. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and make the dreaded phone call to tech support.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With native off, you should be able to cycle through all of the ones you have selected in the setup menu, by pressing the format button on the remote [upper left, second button down]. You should see [say] 480i pillarbox, crop, stretch, 480p pillarbox, crop, stretch, 720p, p,c,s, 1080i, p, c, s, then back to 480....[BTW the order of pillarbox, crop, stretch may not be this but you should see three]
    Let me know..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.