1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Customer with 7 TV's - Configuration?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Demodave, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Demodave

Demodave New Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I think I am finally ready to dump Cox and get DirecTV. We have 7 TV's so what would be the best configuration when getting equipment? Can I get 2 Genie DVR's? Or do I have to get one Genie, five clients and one HR24 to get past the 5 channel limit? I welcome any suggestions from the experts!

2. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Few questions that might help guide us a little.

1. Since the Genie only allows you to stream to three clients at a time - how many TV's will be in use at any given time?

2. You may only have one genie per an account. How many tuners and how much hard drive space does your house hold need for recording?

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yep. How many tvs will ever be in at one time. And how many people In The house. And how many different things do you think you might record at one time. The great part about dtv in this instance is that even though you can only have one genie their system is very scalable for people's needs.

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Genie has 5 tuners but 2 are reserved for the genie itself so only 3 clients could be in use though I believe it can be connected to 7(maybe 8?). If you want a nice setup, I would get additional HD DVR's and an HD receiver. You could end up with something like a Genie, 2 HD DVR's, 1 HD receiver and 3 clients. Depends on how nice you want the system to be and how many rooms will actually be used simultaneously. Genie has a 1 TB HDD and HD DVR's have a 500GB HDD. Like you stated, only 1 Genie per account.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would get 1 Genie, 2 HDDVRs and 4 HD receivers.

6. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I agree that is your best set-up. On the install date have cold sodas available because they will be there awhile... (Never hurts to befriend the installers..):p

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That probably would be best. Of course he could also just get 7 HD DVRs, or 6 DVRs and one Genie, but then you run the risk of the installer not knowing how to deal with more than just one SWM16.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Small TVs wall mounted do better with a client if you don't want box very visible and/or wires.

H25s are OK for hiding behind medium size TVs if wall mounted. If you have a Blu-ray, DVD, game or (GASP!) a VCR, you're going to have a stand or rack of some kind anyhow, so DirecTV receiver size in those locations is not critical.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would get 1 Genie, 2 HDDVRs and 4 HD receivers.

See here I wonder about usage though. If there is only ever going to be two people, then why ever have any non DVRs, and why not have at least three genie clients? Especially if you have three locations that will rarely get used. I'd sooner go three DVRs, a genie, and three clients if there's three tvs not used often, or if you have only two or three tvs on ever at a time, and record everything you watch.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    See here I wonder about usage though. If there is only ever going to be two people, then why ever have any non DVRs, and why not have at least three genie clients? Especially if you have three locations that will rarely get used. I'd sooner go three DVRs, a genie, and three clients if there's three tvs not used often, or if you have only two or three tvs on ever at a time, and record everything you watch.

DVRs are the best in my books. I use the DirecTV apps to schedule recordings.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DVRs are the best in my books. I use the DirecTV apps to schedule recordings.

Non DVRs can be better depending on the situation. I generally don't hear the hard drive, but did when I had a DVR in the bedroom.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Non DVRs can be better depending on the situation. I generally don't hear the hard drive, but did when I had a DVR in the bedroom.

I was not aware my my HDDVRs had hard drive in them, since I never hear them.... !rolling

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I wish I could say the same for my hr20. I never heard it in the living room, but did in the bedroom. Now I have my H25 in there, and all is quiet, plus less hardware hanging off it. I'll take the power brick over a DECA, a splitter and a bsf.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I wish I could say the same for my hr20. I never heard it in the living room, but did in the bedroom. Now I have my H25 in there, and all is quiet, plus less hardware hanging off it. I'll take the power brick over a DECA, a splitter and a bsf.

Perhaps the HR20 was your "issue" my HR20 was retired awhile ago by a very quiet HR24