1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New D* customer at location with existing D* dish at my location do I get a new LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dubber deux, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1 of 18
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Installer came in was supposed to do a "basic" install.

There is a existing Direct dish at my new apartment from a previous customer looks pretty old. I asked the installer to install a NEW LNB due to my concern about the age and harsh heat conditions at my location. He said I didn't need to worry because of a 90 day warranty on the equipment. I wopuld have rather had a NEW LNB installed especially since I paid the 21.95 handling fee for the equipment.

Should I be concerned about the longevity of the old LNB ?

Can I insist that I get a new one installed?

Thanks for the help.

2. Mar 7, 2009 #2 of 18
    Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    Just my opinion, sounds like a lazy installer to me. There is no cost to the installer for the dish hardware. The question is what was the true physical condition of the existing dish & LNB? The physical dish itself is of little concern since it's merely a reflector. As long as it's not damaged or loose on its mount, then it should be fine. The LNB on the other hand, does deteriorate over time and asking for it to be replaced would be a reasonable request.

Exposed to the elements long enough, the face of the LNB will eventually crack and ultimately break away, but this takes several years. Initial signs of it deteriorating is discoloration (gradual browning or darkening) of the LNB face. If yours is still an opaque off-white, then it's fine.

Since almost all D* installations today use either an AT9 or AU9 dish, and since those have only been available for the past 3 or so years, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. Mar 7, 2009 #3 of 18
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    IF the dish looked "ok" I would use the whole thing but hand the customer a NEW LNB with my home phone number. "Call me to check your whole system and install this LNB if the other one fails." All the calls so far, over 10 years, have been how to upgrade the system. No LNB failures.

You will be ok.

Joe

4. Mar 7, 2009 #4 of 18
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I would not worry about it. As with most digital technology, the thing either works or it does not work. Age really has nothing to do with it at all.

However, is this a SINGLE LNB? If so, and it bothers you, just upgrade to the Spanish package and then downgrade.

5. Mar 7, 2009 #5 of 18
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    The dish is a single lnb install with a standard round dish for SD tv.

The dish itself has the "winegard" band name printed on it along with the D* brand as well. Could this tell me the age of the lnb?

The single lnb has a small metal screw attaching the bullhorn to the plastic arm.

Glad to hear that you haven't had any lnb failures in your experience.

Some extra info, the signal at my location in upstate SC is 96 and 100 respectively for each satellite.

6. Mar 7, 2009 #6 of 18
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Dubber,
    I eat my words. Your dish is old enough for replacement. It will probably make it past the ninety day guarantee but that piece of junk is old. You are emtitled to a new dish with a new basic installation and, while techs are ok in skipping a dish change for something recent...........your rig is old and if they do not replace it now you will have to pay for it at some unknown time in the future.

Poor judgment call on the tech's part........overbooking does this.....call DTV and tell them you want a new LNB , tuning is good.......and, if they want, a new dish.

Joe

7. Mar 7, 2009 #7 of 18
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I would have left the dish, but definitely changed the LNB. Having said that, those single legacy LNBs last forever because they're very simple. Short of physical damage, it was very rare to have to change them out.

8. Mar 7, 2009 #8 of 18
    pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    service in 90 haha sin 90 :lol::hurah:

9. Mar 7, 2009 #9 of 18
    pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    sin in 0 call today :D

10. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I don't really want the original installer to come back either. He did a poor job, took parts of the siding off and never replaced them as well. I even specifically asked that he install a new LNB and he claimed that he didn't have one!!!!! Sounds outrageous!

How should I go about handling this with customer service?

11. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    I had the same thing at a previous address i lived at... there was already a D* dish there and the installer wanted to use the old dish. I was cool with that i just asked him to please switch out the LNB... he looked at me and said " No need to worrie about the LNB them things last 50 years or more":lol:

12. gen2rx7

gen2rx7 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    I will swap the LNB anytime I roll to a job and there is a dish already up. I figure its better to be safe than sorry. I think the installer just didn't want to work

13. pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    just call dtv tell csr you'll get a service tech hurry now its a sin in 7 not 0

14. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Latest

I called D* spoke to a SCR and explained the situation. She said that they WILL NOT have someone install a new LNB!!!!!!!

I made sure to indicate that the current LNB is probably over 5 years old, perhaps 8 years old!!!!!!!!!!

All she wanted to do is sell me the protection plan..

I paid 21.95 for the shipping and handling for new equipment right?

What is my next step.?

I want a new LNB.

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Same here. I'm happy not having to put a dish up but I'm not taking the risk of a old LNB go bad.
    To the OP. Tell a CSR that you are having issues with PQ and break ups and that you want a tech out to fix.

16. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They probably don't make LNBs for that model any more :), Sounds like installer didn't want to do more work to do it right.

17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Upgrade to HD!! That will get you a NEW DISH as well as a brand new LNB.

18. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

I thought that the basic design of the LNB for the single lnb equipped dishes (no matter the mfr) were essentially the same design for efficiency?

I was under the belief that all the lnbs for this type of dish were mfr'd by Huges?

RESOLUTION UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Sent an e mail to D* on Sunday, Mar. 15th, on Monday Mar. 16 a CSR called me and stated that the installer was supposed to install a NEW dish assembly for all new customers. The CSR said that in lieu of a new installation she was offering me warranty coverage on the existing dish equipment until Dec 31, 2009. I said that I felt this was reasonable and would accept this.

She was extremely polite and competent with her call and assured me that if I did need to use the extended coverage I was to send her an e mail directly using her employee number. I asked if I could get a confirmation in the form of an e mail. But she said that they could not do this due to some sort of legal reason???? Hmmm?

Anyhow, I believe that they will honor this action if needed.