1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New DirecTV Dealer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mhammett, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I am setup as a new DirecTV dealer. I signed up primarily to offer my Internet customers a video option. I have been an enthusiast DirecTV customer, so I had already bought some tools a while back to hook everything up.

That said, I think I've lost most of them by now, they're rusted or otherwise not something I'd want to use. Recommendations for tools to get? I'm likely to pickup a NIB Birdog USB from a friend. It's not the latest device, it'll do the job and I'd imagine priced right. Looking for crimper, stipper, etc. recommendations.

2. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    What internet service do you offer? (My location Phila PA 19149)
    My 2 year contract with verizon dsl was over 2 months ago.
    Verizon sucks so bad I could write a book about the hours and hours on the phone to CS at India, Philippines and Cost Arica.
    My only other option is comcast ,which is not going to happen.
    FIOS might be wired up here soon, so I will be signing up as soon as it is.
    Thanks

3. JLester

JLester AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    We just switched to these at work:

http://www.belden.com/products/enterprisecabling/coax-connectivity-solutions.cfm

Granted, we do lots more BNC than F-type, so the non-blind entry is a huge plus, but they are awesome connectors. The Belden rep that taught our class bet us that no one could pull off a connector. One guy ended up doing it, but on closer look, he actually ripped the cable in two, the connector was still terminated.

4. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I am just a small ISP covering a small area in Illinois. There may be others like me, but if they aren't listed on www.wispa.org somewhere, I wouldn't know where to find them.

Thanks. More than F-type, so in the broadcast\CCTV industries?

5. JLester

JLester AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    I am in education, so BNC for security cameras, RCA for head-end equipment, F for video distribution, etc. We've used Ideal for years, but the non-blind entry on the F-Conn BNC and RCA connectors is really a game changer. No more wondering if you hit the center conductor properly. I don't think we've made a single bad termination since switching.

6. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I drive past the Ideal HQ warehouse, etc. about 3 or 4 days a week.

I drive past the main Panduit warehouse about the same.

;-)

Most of mine is cat 6, but now I'm adding F. Soon I'll have fiber too.