1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DirecTV Install from E* Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Pablo_New, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Pablo_New

Pablo_New Mentor

Feb 25, 2005
    Switching to DirecTV after having been a Dish Net customer for well over 10 years to take advantage of the pricing. Anyway, two quick questions. I don't want to have two sats on my roof, do you think the tech would remove the superdish and use the arm from that for the DirecTV dish (if I gave him a few $ on the side)? :)

And, I got an HD DVR even though I don't have an HD TV. I've read in various postings here and elsewhere that this should be no problem since you can make adjustments in the setup and there are cable interfaces to support SD...is that a safe assumption?

Thanks.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    They're not supposed to use a different arm. You can try, but it just depends on the tech, and whether or not the arms are even the same diameter.

As far as running an HD DVR on an SDTV, you're totally cool there.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I thought techs wouldn't install an HD-DVR on a SD set?

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I am pretty sure the DISH Super Dish has a 2" mast,

I have converted bunches of them. The 2" mast is compatible with the HD Directv dishes. Just slide it on. The cabling is similar....IF you are not getting HD have the tech use a Phase III to connect all four lines for four (4) sat lines.

The tech should verify the 2" DISH mast is plumb and secure to your building. Even loosening the bolts enough to pump more (asphalt) caulk under the base couldn't hurt.
    If you had a can of flat spray paint in your fav color that could be done also.

Bon appetite!

Joe

5. Pablo_New

Pablo_New Mentor

Feb 25, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies. I plan to get a new HD set.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I've never seen a 2" Dish Mast. Even their TurboHD or whatever is not 2" but I don't know if they switched recently.

They can take out everything but the footplate at very least. Just tell the tech you would really appreciate him taking the old one down! Bribe him with a cold drink !! That always works on me.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Back in the old days they wouldn't but they have no problem doing so now.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Chances are that, if left unsupervised, the technician would add a third dish. A touch of the green may get both dishes removed but the bases should be left behind.

9. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    :welcome_s

10. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Why not? You can change the output format? I have my HR24-100 on the 27" Sony Tube TV. I bought a HDTV with the Best Buy promotion but have not installed it yet. The picture looks good on my old Sony.

11. cosmo

cosmo AllStar

Mar 3, 2005
    a slimline dtv dish needs the 2 mono poles also for support. you could leave the old dish net base on the roof and remove the pole.
    or use the dish net base and add the 2 monopoles.
    DTV uses bishop tape under the base of their dishes.
    and you can use a SD tv on a HD ird as long as the SD tv has rca jacks on it
    DTV hd irds do not have a coax out on them.
    they also have an adapter for tvs that dont have rca jacks on them

12. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I've done plenty of installs where the customer was getting HD equipment but didn't have an HDTV. I always ask and make sure that is what they wanted so that they don't pay 10$/mo for nothing. Usually they are getting one soon.

The adapter is called an RF Modulator, they are cheap and can be bought at radioshack etc. They are great for mirroring an HD box to another TV.

I'm seeing a lot more HD receivers on SD tv's now that MRV is here. Had a service call, guy had 2x HR24 1x H24 and not a single HD tv in the house.

13. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    I could get 2 HD receivers 18"Dish and not have hd,;)

I have 1 HDTV/SDTV.

They would Drop ship them to me :D

its H24'S