1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dish needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BHYDE-1, May 18, 2010.

1. BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1 Cool Member

Nov 2, 2007
    When I spoke to DirecTV tonight about the whole room DVR service, I was told that I would need to have a new dish (she mentioned a SWM dish) installed.

I have a 5LNB slimline dish that was installed Nov 07.

Is this correct that they will replace this dish with another one?

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    You need SWM in some form for DECA/MRV. If you have more than 8 total tuners then you need and external SWM16 module and no dish swap. If you have less than 8 or less tuners then yes...they would replace your dish and not use the external SWM module.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If under eight tuners, then only the LNB needs to be change to the SWiMLB.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    True...i made an assumption...shoukld have been more specific. The refelctor would stay and the LNB would be the only replacement.

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Just the LNB will be replaced

6. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    I have an AT9 dish so I will need to have it replaced with a SWiM type dish, I will have 2) HR20-700s and whatever they give me to replace an H20-100. Will I need a SWM8 or will the leads from the dish suffice to supply a signal to the system?

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you have an AT-9, I believe that no matter what SWM system you end up with, a swap to an AU-9 Slimline will take place. You will more than likely end up with the SWM LNB. As long as you don't plan to expand beyond 8 tuners, that's the cleanest way to go.

8. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    If that's what I have (the SWM LNB) & I add another DVR that takes me to 9 tuners, will D* come out & change out whatever equipment is needed to take me to 16 tuners, for free? I have the protection plan if that makes any difference.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you get the installation included with the receiver (meaning order it from DIRECTV) then yes. If you buy it on your own, then I don't know.

10. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    so with less than 8 tuners the SWM LNB is all I need, I do not need a SWM8?

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Correct.

12. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    Thanks hilmar2k, I appreciate the info

13. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    OK I ordered Connected Home to be installed Friday, went pretty smoothly, the only thing that concerns me is I have an AT9 dish and the CSR said it would work with MRV, I told him that it is not SWM compatible & he said it did not matter, true or not? Anyway I asked him to have the Installer bring a SWM dish just in case, he said ok.

BTW... anybody elses in the Atlanta area have a Home Connect install yet... what was your experiance.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am quite sure you'll get a new dish with a SWM LNB.

15. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    That's what I was thinking but he insisted that any HD dish would work, I told him I was skeptical about that!

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "He" may have not been around long enough to know there was more than 1 HD dish. ;)

17. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    hey veryoldschool, hope you get up early on Friday AM, may need your help here on the east coast!:lol:

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling
    I'll do my best. :lol:

19. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm in Snellville and scheduled for this evening. (Twiddling my thumbs right now.) I'll let you know how it goes.

20. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Had a great install. Installer had done 3 MRV installs before, so he was still relatively new. He realized quickly that I knew as much or more about the DECA setup than he did. (I told him I had been beta testing MRV.) However, he was willing to let me help out with the set up and learn from what I knew. (And not every guy is willing to learn from a "girl geek".)

He switched out my SWM-8 for a SL3 LNB. He brought my 103 signals up from 50's and 60's to 90's. That was really great!

One thing that was funny was that they were only issued 8-way splitters. In my install (because of previously using existing cables) I was using both outputs of the SWM-8, one of those cables went to the family room and a 4 way splitter, the other upstairs and a 2 way splitter. So, he ended up using 8-way splitters in all 3 places. The unused outputs were terminated, so I don't think I'm losing any significant signal. However, it does seem like a waste.