1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dish pointing for Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by twiggly2, Dec 9, 2012.

1. twiggly2

twiggly2 New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Im probably gonna get reemed for this but, my parents Directv dish is pointed SE and I have noticed new ones pointed SW. How come the change?

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Nothing has moved, your comment about new ones seems strange as both the original round dish and the current HD dishes point at 101 which from Billings ( I just picked a town in Montana) is 169.6 true, 158.4 magnetic or slightly SE The Phase 3 dish which was the last SD dish (2002 or so) points at 110 which is 182.1 true, 170.9 magnetic which is obviously more due south than SW. Are you sure you are not seeing Dish Network dishes? I am not sure of exact coordinates for the western arc satellites but it probably would be SW from Montana

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Doesn't Dish networks have a sat over there?
    Maybe they are on Dish instead of DirecTV.
    Go to dishpointer.com and put in the address, the satellite you are needing and it will give you the coordinates of where it should be pointed.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you and your parents are in Montana, almost all DIRECTV dishes should be pointing at 101w. So if you're in Montana that would mean the dishes should be pointing slightly to the SE. The only exceptions are the Phase III triple sat. dish primarily for Spanish SD customers centered on 110w which would be due south at your location and the international dish pointed at 95w which is SE at your locale.

Are you sure you are not mistaking Dish Network dishes which may be aimed at either their western or eastern arcs?

5. twiggly2

twiggly2 New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I am 100% sure that the two systems in question are DirecTV, but now the more people question it, I am not completely sure my parents is pointing SE. I may have possibly just imagined it..:(

6. twiggly2

twiggly2 New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Im really hoping I didnt just make myself look like a Jackass, being new to the forum and all. :)

7. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Do not worry about that, there is no such thing as a stupid question. You wont find a better group of helpful people than you will here.

8. twiggly2

twiggly2 New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Thats excellent to hear! Im sure I will have more questions in the future. :)