1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dish Subscriber / 922 Owner

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by marty45714, Oct 13, 2010.

1. marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Hi, I just joined Dish Network on Monday after being a DirecTV suibscriber for the last 11 years. I am a techie and was an early adopter of the HR20-700. Bought it in 2006, and was a big participator in the Cutting Edge program even before it was known as such. So naturally I felt it was necessary to take the plunge and get the ViP922 with my Dish subscription.

My first set of questions for everyone is how software updates from Dish Network compare to what I was seeing with DirecTV?

Specifically:

1) Do representative from Dish read these forums? Specifically do they see the bug reports / software discussion?
    2) Is there a way to make suggestions to Dish Network for features you'd like to see? AKA Dish Pass!!!
    3) Do software updates come out regularly? And HOW regularly?
    4) Are there release notes for software?

I am excited about the 922, being that it is in its infancy. I am looking forward to seeing how it evolves, already knowing how the HR20 developed into a very good DVR platform over the past 4 years (minus the lagging performance, LOL!)

Look forward to interacting with you all regularly over the next couple of years at least!

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm pretty sure so... but there isn't likely to be public acknowledgement for obvious and logical reasons. Also, many of us know people who work at Dish and sometimes pass things along to be sure (especially major issues) someone at Dish is aware.

Aside from "contact us" forms on the Dish Web site, again some of us have been known to pass things along and they do read the forums... but I'll be honest, I've made what I thought were good suggestions before (like asking why Dish Pass was taken away on the 922) and was essentially told that "not many customers use it" and it was "an intentional decision" to leave out... so some suggestions are greeted more warmly than others.

No regular schedule that anyone can tell. Most of Dish's receivers are either in a state of development (new ones) or troubleshooting/updates (old ones)...

IF Dish is looking to move a new feature OR fix a major problem, then that tends to drive firmware releases more than anything else. Sometimes people who are looking at the uplink data get a "heads up" when it looks like new firmware is spooling, but beyond that no real discernible schedule.

There sure don't seem to be. I have occasionally seen some marketing info that touts new features... but haven't seen a detailed bug-fix release notes for Dish firmware in a very long time.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    So do you actually own the 922 or are you leasing it?

4. marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Lease. I guess for that matter, I never "owned" my 2 HR20's that I leased in 2006. Still waiting to see if they send a box and actually want them back. I've heard that they don't even though the CSR tells you they will when you disconnect.

What is the advantage of owning? You still pay the $7 or $10 or whatever the fee is whether you own or lease right?

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    These days there really are only 2 reasons to own with Dish equipment:

1. If you want to upgrade but don't want to have a new 2-year commitment.

2. If you are at the leased-tuner limit and need/want another receiver you have to buy them beyond a certain point.

6. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Um, actually 3 then:

3. If you want to upgrade. (and don't care one way or the other about a new 2 year commitment).

7. marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Gotcha. I did have to but one of my 211K's. I had Dish installed in 4 rooms (all 4 HDTV's).

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How is that a 3rd reason to own equipment?

Owning will cost more usually to buy a receiver than to pay an upgrade fee (or get it for free upgrade)... so if you don't mind the commitment, you'd take the lease upgrade.

9. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I had a 722k and did not qualify for a 922 any way other than buying it outright. I didn't do it to avoid the 2 year commitment, I did it simply because I wanted a 922. I was paying $6/mo DVR service with the 722k and now I'm paying $10/mo DVR service.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The lease limit is 3 receivers (older accounts with 4 single-tuner leased receivers are grandfathered in until their next upgrade, at which point they have to comply).

3. If you want to upgrade but don't qualify (bad credit/payment history or if you've had an upgrade within the last 12 months, as you can only do a lease upgrade every 12 months).

11. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If you live in a state that has a sales tax you will be charged a "Sales/Use" tax every month on the value of the lease. If you buy the receiver you only pay the sales tax when you buy it. If you plan on having the service for a long time that tax could end up being more than the cost of the receiver.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Ok, I see now... I hadn't thought of it that way.. and you're right... that is a 3rd option. I think Battlezone made a good version of option #3.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Whether you own a receiver or not you still pay the extra fee (if it isn't your first receiver) anyway... and tax on that fee... so owning a receiver will not reduce your monthly bill at all.