1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New dish to be mounted on DirecTv mst

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MGotcha, Mar 7, 2013.

1. MGotcha

MGotcha New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I am getting ready to change from DirecTV to Dish and do not want anymore more lag screws put into my flat roof. The 2 yr old DirecTv (slimline) mount already has a number of lags into my roof that I have finally gotten to not leak and is firmly stablized with 2 additional support struts. I cannot find an adapter online that will sip over the 2" OD mount so that the (1-5/8) Dish can mount onto. Stuffing a 1-5/8 mast piece into the DirecTV mast would probably work, but it seems like someone would have a nice 2" ID to 1-5/8 OD adapter (gee.. maybe a muffler shop??) Does such a thing exist for this purpose?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    search on ebay there usually is someone selling adapters from Directv to DISH. Usually they are 1 5/8" with a slot cut in them and two 1/4 x 20 bolts to lock them in place.

3. MGotcha

MGotcha New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks for the recommendation. I saw these online and thought they were just for clamping onto much larger masts and pipes, typical of the older large sat dishes of the 80's. Seems like it would work but something that just slipped over the existing 2"OD would be much "cleaner"

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Regarding lags, I predrill recommended size, but in the lag bolt, take out the lag bolt, shoot hole full of 50 year RTV and put the lag back in.

So far, so good. I use bishop tape too.

LOL, saw a 5LNB KaKU LNB sealed up with Bishop tape a few days ago, funny looking critter. Installer says moisture infiltration is killing LNBs as fast as they can replace them.

5. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Only reason I can think of why this is happening is because for some dumb reason some installers remover the weather bushing from the LNB. The reason they do it its because its easier to screw on the connector. Its there for a reason people, dont remove it. They do it to splitters, barrels and even 6x8s.:nono2:

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Bishop tape was around the feed horn cover seams (all 3!) and the little bolts holding the 99/101/103 feedhorn on the housing.

I've seen a few with RTV smeared all over them too. More than 1 D* installer in area is doing it.

7. brewsky

brewsky Cool Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Flat roof???....why wasnt the dish installed on a non pen roof mount in the first place??....geeze those dtv installers