1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New EPL channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Aug 18, 2013.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    So, yesterday was day one of NBC having ownership of the English Premiere League soccer. I was pretty impressed.....not so with DirecTV though.

Two games were transmitted on NBCSN CH 220, and one was on the main NBC affiliate. The NBC presenters kept referring to other 'live' games being available on 'NBC Extra Time', and to check with your satellite or cable provider. So I looked for channels called 'NBC Extra Time' or something similar....I couldn't find any. So I called DirecTV and asked them where I would find the NBC Extra Time channels....the CSR told me that she had never heard of those channels.

So I figured that D* just wasn't carrying those 'NBC Extra Time' channels. Then about 20 minutes later, a friend e-mails me and tells me that the channels are called EPL, and that they are on 491 through 495. Sure enough, I checked and there they were. Should I have found them during my search? Yes.....but shouldn't a DirecTV CSR know that 5 new channels have just been added to their line up?

It seems to me that for all its good points, D* is typically lousy at communicating with its customers. I called D* back and suggested that if there's a shared file system between the CSRs, that they add this info to it. I'm sure that there are still viewers out there who are unaware of these channels. :slowgrin:

2. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Us, Mas Ultra subs do not get NBCSN CH220 so that leaves many without soccer viewership.

Lucky for me,I dont follow soccer so much,as I'am a pure NFL,MLB Junkie but wish others could enjoy the nbcsn epl games telecast's.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, same (almost) happen to me this morning. I went to check BeIN on 426 which has had a horrible SD picture and this morning (do not know when it actually happened) it on on beautiful glorious HD!!!!! DirecTV did not said a word! but I am glad that this channel is now on HD

4. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    beINñHD (ch 426) went live with the most recent HD additions (QVC, Galavision, and Playboy). ESPN Deportes HD is coming in September. You'll never hear these things announced from Directv in like a press release, but there is a channel changes portion of their website that announces this stuff. You'll always hear it on forums such as these first!

http://news.directv.com/category/channel-updates/?lpos=Header:3

Also, the EPL channels were never really announced, but the press release hinted that they would be there somewhere. It was not really ever announced what channels they were. Your best place for this type of info is on this (or the "other") site over anyone at a Directv call center (except the few of them who post online and actually know their job...)

5. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I agree with you completely, but considering that the percentage of DirecTV viewers who are members of forums like this is likely to be less than one percent of the estimated 21 million viewers, I would have thought that a different approach by D* is needed. :grin:

6. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Absolutely! Another method is to select the "all channels" mode and scan through every now and then for new HD, new channels, and things like EPL. But, few will do that too. They like to use the banners for things, why not put a banner on 220 for a week or so - "Want more EPL? Tune to EPL overflow channels 491-495" or something. Use the banners for good, not "Honey Boo Boo" and Cinema ads.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I'm sure you know, but don't forget to redo any planned recordings because they will still be tagged to the SD channel.

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The could also use the "Message" feature on the receivers to post stuff like this....

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    GREAT point!

10. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Directv added a schedule with channel positions prior: http://sports.directv.com/Packages/EnglishPremierLeague

11. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Just wondering, but is anyone else seeing a lot of pixilization and motion blur on the NBC feeds, esp. on close-ups? Whether it is hockey, Sunday Night Football, or now the EPL, the pixilization and motion blur make the feeds almost unwatchable. I know NBC uses 1080i feeds, and this must be the problem, because I don't see this issue on ESPN or Fox feeds. And, I've noticed this issue on OTA feeds as well as satellite feeds of NBC sports broadcasts.

12. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    i have noticed what you're saying, but i haven't seen that problem on bein sport that uses 1080i
    on the other hand espn 720p is way better than fox's 720p, for me fox soccer has a terrible picture, same with some rsn, some baseball games look awful

so i think it doesnt have to do with the resolution, but how they use they are converting the original signal

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    NBC's football gets worse every game it seems. Football being American and soccer. It's a shame.

14. Robin112

Robin112 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Does anyone know when espn deportes hd going live