1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ESPN iPad app

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Ed Campbell, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 #1 of 40
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    ESPN has a new iPad app which allows streaming from any provider you subscribe to - of any ESPN programming you qualify for with that provider.

They do not yet have it set up with D* as far I can find - but, let's hope it will happen.

I believe the app works on some other devices as well - though the iPad is the only one I have that can work with it.

Here's the article I saw, today:

http://tinyurl.com/3gyokcm

2. Apr 8, 2011 #2 of 40
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    It probably will never be associated with Direct. I have TWC for internet and I get news letters from them all of the time. ESPN and TWC have had this association for a while now. Since this has been occurring with other providers for a long time and not yet with Direct, I don't see it happening with Direct for a while now

3. Apr 8, 2011 #3 of 40
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Wow, seems cool. I'm shocked that DIRECTV didn't jump on this since it's sports and all.

On a side note, the Cablevision app looks awesome.

DIRECTV app really needs streaming to compete with the other apps already out there.

4. Apr 8, 2011 #4 of 40
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The app has a DirecTV option in the pulldown but it says it is not available yet.

Maybe a minuet this time?

However, I have Fios in house and it works well on my wifi. I will try 3G later.

5. Apr 9, 2011 #5 of 40
    mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    It will come in May

6. Apr 9, 2011 #6 of 40
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I did 3G for the app. Looks great. A but buggy. Keeps saying I am out of my preview time even though I am signed up. Then it will work. Then it won't. Then it will.

7. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    My girlfriend has FiOS TV so I used her account to sign in and I must say that I love this app

Being able to watch ESPN or any of its affiliates on 3g or Wifi anywhere

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    good point,

its available for fios TV subs.. so is it based of TV provider??

the old ESPN360 (now espn3) is based of HOME ISP. ?

if its based of TV provider hope D* gets it like they just did HBO GO

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    There was a choice for FIOS internet on the list as well but I did not try it. As far as ESPN knew I was a TV only sub.

And there is a DirecTV choice that says it is not available yet.

All that would indicate that it is TV provider based and may be ISP based as well.

(BTW, while I have Fios internet, my iPhone is AT&T, no problems.)

10. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    I have dsl not fios no im not able to view the app but would be cool and huge for D* & espn if D*'s 19 milion subs could view espn networks

11. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    FYI, not being able to see either MLB or NBA or any other highlights for major sports is a joke. I mean, I get why ESPN wants to pioneer this and get people to watch eir shows....but if users can't see any highlights thus agreements have not been reached for there sports, why release it? Wait and get them done first

12. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    App is now available on droid ! Come on D* reach an agreememt lol

13. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Is there a date set?

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Tony, did you find an iPad version of the app? Or just one iPod/iPhone-sized? TIA.

15. warchickens

warchickens Mentor

May 9, 2007
    Does anyone have any new info on Watch ESPN app and when it will be available on Directv? Directv is falling behind in streaming video. I don't want to buy a sling box.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Even with all the streaming apps I have, I prefer the Slingbox because it is all in one place. Tired of loading HBO, MAX, CNN, Cartoon Network, ESPN (I have Fios so I have access), etc.

Until they have them in one place, I would prefer to use my Slingbox.

17. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue Godfather

Apr 29, 2011
    It will not be available for a long time. DTV has tried to get it, but ESPN has said no unless DTV agrees to take Longhorn and other ESPN programming that will cost DTV several billion $$ over the next five years. ESPN is holding a number of distributors hostage with this right now. Time Warner may be one of the exceptions because they reupped their deal with ESPN last year before much of this authentication stuff was unrolled.

DTV would be foolish to take Longhorn and these other products at the prices ESPN is demanding.

18. warchickens

warchickens Mentor

May 9, 2007
    Yikes, maybe I will buy a slingbox

19. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    If as said above ESPN wants CableCo/Sat companies to take LHN to carry this app I don't see it going "big time" anytime soon with the major players (Comcast, DirecTV, Dish). They seem to be holding firm with the fact they won't pay the price ESPN wants for LHN and if the last few reports are correct DirecTV and ESPN (LHN) are not even talking. Looks like the current cablecos announced will ne the only carriers. Can't say I blame any of the nat'l companies for saying no, outside of the TX/OK region LHN won't get the same play. Unlike The Mtn, Big10(12), and the future Pac12 networks LHN is dedicated to one team, it doesn't have the games and other features to capture more of a Nat'l audience. That being said, I'd like LHN if for no other reason then Samantha Steele is their sideline reporter!!!!

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That will take care of espn, espn2, espnu, espn classic.

The app includes espn3 programming.