1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FCC Chairman

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Paul Secic, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2005 #1 of 13
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Hopefully the new FCC Chairman will force television makers to stop making CRT sets. This will speed the transition to digital/HD up a bit.

2. Mar 2, 2005 #2 of 13
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That's not a decision that I want the government getting into. The television makers should make this decision based on their economics and move away from CRT's when cost allowe them to produce alternatives that are competitive with CRT's. Besides, just because a television isn't a CRT doesn't mean that it is HD.

3. Mar 2, 2005 #3 of 13
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Perhaps the new FCC chairman will force you to watch tv on a 13" tv set. As long as we're getting the government to force people to do things, why not force us to get a smaller tv so we'll have a little more room in our homes for the government's new official in-home monitor representative.

Be careful what you wish for...

4. Mar 2, 2005 #4 of 13
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    How will that speed things up? You can get a fairly cheap CRT HDTV set now.

5. Mar 2, 2005 #5 of 13
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Paul,

No matter what the government does (and I agree with others that the government should NOT get into that sort of rule making) will not speed up the transition to digital/HD.

The problem with HD is
    • For MOST people there just isn't enough HD content to make the change worthwhile.
    • Sets are still WAY too expensive for the "average Joe" and NOT making CRT sets will not lower the price that much (if any).
    • Most people don't like the black bars that HD sets display on SD pictures. They dislike "stretching" even more.

HD is a service that can not be forced down people's throat (which is sort of what you suggest). Many, many people are happy with the SD service they now have and will be for many years to come.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #6 of 13
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Hi. I'm from the government and I am your friend. :)

7. Mar 2, 2005 #7 of 13
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and we're here to help you.

8. Mar 3, 2005 #8 of 13
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I just thought this would help people who care about HD. I don't like black bars myself, and can live with SD.

Cheers!

9. Mar 3, 2005 #9 of 13
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I guess this all depends on whether they are giving away free drinks or not. :HappyGree

10. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The move to HD TV will be driven by more quality HD channels and programming. Not the other way around.

"Look, Dad! There are no more CRT HD tv's." "Good eye, Son! That must mean it's time to go out and buy an inordinately expensive 75" flat-panel HD tv, then wait a few more years for enough HD programming to come online to retroactively justify our $7,000 investment Let us now hurry on down to Fred's HD & Hot Tub World and pick one up today!"

11. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    personally, I find the CRT HDTV's better than the other options. Better picture than all the other.

Projection - burn in, plus I don't need a t.v. much bigger than 30"
    LCD - suck for rapid motion, ie. sports
    Plasma - jury still out, but has burn in problems, plus limited lifespan

12. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    And if i would have stayed out of this mess, you may have all been enjoying HD 5 years ago. :D

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I got my first exposure to HD many years ago at an NAB convention. It was an analog system and looked great (better than current HD) on the then available technology (a high scan rate front projector). This had to be around 1988 or so. It was being promoted as "just around the corner" at that time. It obviously was a very long corner. What slowed it down was when the gov't decided they had to get their fingers into the act on approving standards. Digital was decided as the way to go and of course once this decision was made the technology had to catch up with the standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.