1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Feature?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BillJ, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    With heavy storms training across the area all night I wasn't surprised to find my Dish 622 with a partial signal loss early this morning. It doesn't take much to knock out 129 here. Recalling something I read the other day, I opened the guide and selected another channel, At first it showed signal loss but within seconds a transparent banner displayed saying the HD channel was unavailable and the receiver was switching to the SD channel. I was able to watch the SD version of several channels until the storms finally passed. As soon as I tuned to a channel it automatically switched to the SD channel.

Wonder if this is a new feature in the latest software or just something I never knew about. It's great and will mean far fewer rain fade complete losses of service.

2. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    This is a new feature with some of our receivers - Hopper and VIPs receivers. Thanks.

3. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Nice. When the outage is over, does the receiver automatically switch back to the HD feed? Will this work while a receiver is recording?

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I haven't tested this yet but I believe it will remain on the SD channel until you manually change it to HD. Since you are recording to a channel, you would remain on that channel during the recording. This is my assumption. Thanks.

5. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    The channel I was watching when the outage occurred did not switch. I had to change to another channel and then change back to the first channel before it switched to the SD channel. Therefore, I'm guessing it would not switch if you were recording. For now I think a human has to intervene. Would be nice someday to have it do it all automatically though.