1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Football League

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Dave, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Well it looks like we have a new football league starting up. So far I have only seen where there will be (4) four teams to start. I beleive they have also announced there play off game to be around Thanksgiving.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The league has a lot of money behind it and TV deal in place with Versus. One of the major forces behind it is Nancy Pelosi's husband. They have said they plan to start small, get some former NFL players looking to make comebacks etc. I think they'll get an audience, their games will be on Friday nights. I think their goal is if players play well they will be picked up by NFL teams as they make playoff pushes. Could be interesting...

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Was reading up on this league over the past few days and while I have always been in favor of the idea of a 'minor league' for football, I just do not see this one getting off the ground.
    I'm giving 2 seasons..

5. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    What I have heard is they feel they have enough money for 4 years to get things going, after that they want to start making a profit. It will be interesting, the SF/Sac team is playing home games at ATT Park (SF Giant) so that could be a draw for some people to attend games.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm sorry but unless the NFL gets behind this league, I'm going to stick with 2 years and gone.

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Thankfully games are on HDnet too, but we'll miss the games on Versus if it isn't back by October 8th.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    You will, I won't... lol