1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New genie comming tomorrow install help please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bezlar, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    I have 2 hr24-500 and another hd receiver now. I'm wanting to use just the genie, hr24, and the hd receiver. I have deca box at my router. Can I disconnect deca and just run Ethernet into the new genie 44? And still get whole house? Would it be better to get client or use the hd receiver? Please advise best way to install. I think I have swim8.

Thanks

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Why not keep the Genie + 2 HR24s and get rid of the HD receiver? You'll need a SWiM16, but 9 tuners to record on is nothing to sneeze at.

Note: For HDDVRs (including Genies), the playlists are shared, yet autonomous. Setting up recordings must be done at the receiver of choice. However, playlist access (and viewing) should be available to all 3. Please correct this information if it's incorrect. You may be able to use an App to do the same. Others with more specific knowledge will fine tune the details.

Good luck!

-=K=-

3. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    Well I guess we had 4 tuners to record on and never had any conflicts so having seven should be enough. Plus I only have two coax wires comming into house, wouldn't I need three?

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How are those two wires feeding your two HR24s and one HD receiver right now?

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Since you have 2 wires coming into the house, it sounds like you have a splitter outside as with your setup you should have a SWM-LNB, which means one coax from the dish. With a SWM16 setup (9+ tuners), they would have 4 wires from the dish to the SWM16. From the SWM16, you'd have 2 cables coming into your house, which depending on your current setup should be fine. I'm assuming that one of the cables that comes into your house is then split to serve to receivers and the other one goes to the third receiver.

- Merg

6. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    Looks like I have a slim line outside with one coax comming from dish going into barrel block of some sorts then one wire from there is hooked up going into house. Then inside I have a swim power block that feeds into my distribution block that splits signal into my rooms. How many tuners would this support?

Thanks

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    One line from the dish would support eight tuners.

8. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    Thanks

9. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    What about my deca can I ditch this with my new genie. Also what if I use the two hr24's and my new genie which dvr would lose one tuner? I

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What did you schedule DirecTV to do? If the genie plus two HR24s, then they will install the SWM16 and change out your LNB.

Which is what I recommend. Do that now so you can expand in the future by just running a cable.

The one tuner on the 24 is just going under system setup and changing it from dual to single tuner. And that is something you want to change. Otherwise the system will select the first eight tuners it needs. Not good if you have two shows scheduled at the same time on a 24 but you've reached eight tuners already.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, keep the Genie and the two HR24s. no reason to get rid of them.

12. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    I'm installing myself. Bought genie online for $219. Couldn't pass it up. I mainly wanted split screen viewing on genie for my projector for sports.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Where? Hopefully you have verified is "owned" or it is brand new?

14. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    Dish buys. It's new

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Whichever one you choose.

And you can get Whole Home just by putting an ethernet cable to the Genie, and disconnecting the CCK from the system. It will not work with putting the ethernet feed into either HR24.

16. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    K thanks. Ups just dropped off so I'm going to give it a go.

17. bezlar

bezlar New Member

May 21, 2010
    Figures. Direct cant activate cause system is being worked on. Told me to call back in hour?