1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie (HR-44) Problem - Not Consistently Changing Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by estiff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. estiff

estiff New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    I am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem - if I try to change channels by inputting the channel numbers (rather than channel up or down or through the guide) if often will fail to actually change the channel. It is not a remote control problem, because the channel numbers show up on the top left corner of the TV screen, so I know the receiver is getting the command... but rather than change it stays on the existing channel. After two or three times, it will finally change the channel to the number I input.

It is an intermittent problem - so, sometimes when I input the number it will work and go straight to that channel. But every other time or so it will not. When it does not work, I often have to input the same number like three or four times before it will actually change the receiver to that channel.

I have reset the receiver, changed the batteries in the remote (even though I know that's not the problem) but still the same intermittent problem.

I have an HR-24 as well, and no problem whatsover. Also, if I go through the guide, no problem. If I use channel up and down, no problem. It's only when I go to input the channel number as the method to change channels.

Not sure if this is just an HR-44 issue or perhaps HR-34 too?

I called Directv yesterday and the tech person I spoke to said it's the first time she's heard of that problem. Because it's intermittent she said it's not enough to justify any further action. Just live with it and change channels through the guide. Not exactly the response I was hoping for.

I saw a similar complaint in the Directv technical forum - but the ultimate result was just a new receiver. It seems like more of a software issue than hardware, but what do I know.

I didn't see a thread on here regarding this problem, so maybe it's only a few of us. Not a deal breaker by any means - I love the HR-44, but it is frustrating.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not experiencing your issue with my HR34-700.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I had the issue on a HR24, HR34 and now a HR44 and H25. It's completely random and agree it's not the remote, like you said, because I use IP control to work min.

A workaround I use... press ENTER after the last number.

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    That's what I was going to say, Sigma. Press enter after inputting the numbers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

5. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I just tried it on my HR44, it work semi-alright.. it sometimes failed to take the first number, but I never had to hit ENTER after input to change channels..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk now Free

6. bobkatF

bobkatF AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    Mesa, AZ
    Same intermittent problem - HR44-500. Sometimes 3 tries and it changes channel.

Press SELECT after entering works; entering 4 digits works, eg. 0005, 0213.

H21 in bedroom still works as before.

7. Notech

Notech New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Florida
    Reply to estiff:
    Excellent description of the problem. My HR44 acquired this exact problem after working well for several months
    Directtv has never heard of it. Coming out for free in 2 days to check it out. Probable waste of time.
    A new box, different TV, different HDMI cable led to no change at that location. All other TVs in house work fine.
    I'll post their solution if there is one.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, this is a known issue. I don't know why the CSRs don't know about it. I've seen it before; for me it is the first channel change after taking the box out of standby. Either pressing Channel Up first or pressing enter afterward seems to solve it.

9. estiff

estiff New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Temporary solution to this problem has been identified. From a user who posted on the Directv technical forum:

Change banner display from 2 seconds to 4 seconds. Settings, Display, Preferences, scroll to bottom, select Banner Time, changed setting to 4 seconds, and now channels change every time.

That absolutely solves the issue - and also indicates that it's a software issue not hardware. The user figured this out by trial and error, crazy. If only Directv or the manufacturer would have figured this out they probably could have come up with an easy software fix so that channel changing works regardless of the banner display time.

Regardless, nice to have a fix w/o extra button pushes. Sometimes its the small things in life.