1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie HR44-700- Skip to tick issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drwdbs, Jan 26, 2014.

1. drwdbs

drwdbs Cool Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Finally got my first genie today- HR44-700, and I have noticed an issue with the buffers and using skip to tick to go forward/backwards.

Lets say I have a full buffer- i rewind all the way back to the beginning of the buffer, and use skip to tick to go forward 30 minutes at a time. If I start at say, 12:30, and want to use skip to tick to get to the 1:00 mark.

Instead of stopping at 1:00, it jumps ahead to 1:30. Does this every time, and also if I am skipping backwards.

So far, I haven't been able to resolve it- anyone else have this? is there a solution? I am hoping so because we do this kind of FF and REWINDING constantly...

Thanks...

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    How exactly are you accomplishing skip to tick as there's two ways to do it. ;). I find hitting skip is better than press and hold.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    While the issue has been reported in various threads repeatedly, I haven't seen any official responses from mods that acknowledge the issue or say it's being worked on. I hope it gets fixed soon because I use skip to tick more than almost any other feature. Most of my daily TV watching is news and sports, and I live with live buffers (STT works as expected in recorded content) and like to back up and watch. Even knowing that there's a constant 4 second delay from command to response, it's still too confusing , especially when the live indicator is just after a Tick.

Frankly it continues to irk me that engineers are instructed by sales and marketing to develop new features before they fix basic and frequently used ones like this, features that used to work fine, btw. Sorry, I just needed to vent a little.

4. drwdbs

drwdbs Cool Member

Sep 14, 2010
    I either rewind or fast forward 1x speed, then hit the skip to tick....

What are the two ways?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The First and original way was press and hold. I hate it.

6. drwdbs

drwdbs Cool Member

Sep 14, 2010
    I think I may have figured out my issue- when using skip to tick there is a delay, and I figured out that i was pushing it twice, thinking the first push did not take. But it really did take, so I was in essence doing a double skip to tick, which is why I was going forward in double increments.

Now I just hit the button once, and it eventually works. But the delay is super annoying- I hope this is something they can fix.

I am loving the Genie so far, but this part of it is definitely inferior to my HR24

7. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Its a known software bug, it will be fixed eventually.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It could well be that your Genie is still in the process of downloading the Guide, and posters, so that the CPU is a bit taxed. I have no real delay on my HR44-200.

Good luck, and enjoy!

9. drwdbs

drwdbs Cool Member

Sep 14, 2010
    One more skip to tick question- on the Genie remote (RC71), how the heck do you do a backwards skip to tick?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The "G" button just above rewind arrow will jump if you hold it down or press rewind arrow first and then press the "G" button.
    Edit: Actually the button is a rewind arrow that looks sorta like a "G".