1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie Install :)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cdizzy, Feb 22, 2014.

1. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    Hello all...Just had my HR44-200 genie upgrade w/ whole home today and boy do I love it so far. Coming from an HR20 to this is like night and day. Just wanted to say I am excited to be back on this site because with an exception to a minor issue here and there I haven't really needed to stop by much with my old HR20/HR21 system.

This site has already helped me fix a small issue with the sports search not showing up after initial install and firmware update. I didn't even know it existed until reading the forums. One quick red button reboot and there it was!

Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Great upgrade, as you have already found you will love the HR44. Stop my frequently, lot to learn, discuss, share, and maybe help others. Not just when you need some help yourself (but of course you are welcome then too).

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Stay away from RBR. That should only be used when you get no response from the front panel or remote buttons. Use Menu/Settings/Reset.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Per "SolidSignal How to Do It Use DirecTV's Built-in Self Tests", page 2 "Testing Your Receiver or DVR"......For years the conventional wisdom was that the red reset button was only for emergencies and that it was better to do a "graceful reset" by pressing [MENU] then going to Settings & Help, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver. Folks at DirecTV have recently changed their tune and now say that pressing the red button isn't likely to make any difference, especially if you already suspect a problem. So, the choice is yours.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As I always have said, there is no difference on either method. Doing RBR is not harmful at all

6. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I will use the menu next time just to be sure. Got to love how fast that box reboots though.

7. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I got the HR44-200 Friday and love it as well. Bye bye recording conflicts!

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually with genies it no longer matters. Either is fine.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    While there is no long term difference I will say I know for a fact that they are still a little different. How're I think it only matters when coping your esata drive to a new esata drive.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why would it matter on other receivers but not the Genie?

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't know on other recovers but in the genie I can't copy the hard drive without doing a menu reset. I think it has to do with clearing temp files for a menu reset that doesn't happen with a rbr until after it begins booting up again. That's a wag but it's all I can think of.

12. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    I am having a small problem with "TV Shows" not filling up. Just Says to "try back in 1 hour" even though it's been a couple days. Another menu reboot?

Thanks

13. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Try a double Menu/Reset. That flushes everything associated with the Guide Data.

14. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    OK, I will do that when I get home. Thanks