1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ftdmlk, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ftdmlk

ftdmlk Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Good morning.

I am having a Genie installed this week along with one wireless mini genie. I want to be able to watch programming on a total of 5 other tvs besides the 2 where the hardware is being installed. I know i will have to purchase additional remotes so i won't have to carry them around.
    Can i purchase a HDMI splitter and run HDMI cables to the other tvs without an issue? 2 of the 5 tvs are not HD ready tvs so not sure how to proceed with this.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The GenieMini will reportedly force HDCP on everything coming out of its HDMI output so there's not a lot of certainty that it will work.

What HDCP brings to the party is that every TV connected will have to respond that it is a display only device (whether or not it is on).

Five widely separated HDTVs is probably too much to ask.

3. ftdmlk

ftdmlk Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    So it would be best to run the splitter from the main Genie unit?

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no, it would better to get separate boxes for each TV or just move the wireless client around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ftdmlk

ftdmlk Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

What if I want to mirror what my wife is watching in the LR (recorded program) and me in the bedroom at the same time? Will the Genie and the mini mirror each other? Is there a setting for this?

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, the client operates Independently of the genie. If you want to mirror one, I would mirror the Genie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. ftdmlk

ftdmlk Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    What type of splitter can i use and what is the success of mirroring? I have been mirroring my 23-700 for years with a RF remote in each room. Any known issues with doing this with the Genie?. Also, can i split HDMI and Composite both? I still have a couple of TVs that only accept coax.