1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie Installation -signal strength question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Orm941, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Orm941

Orm941 New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Medford OR
    Hello from a New Guy,

I have an installation of the Genie system coming up. Getting new dish, LNB, SWM, and receiver.

Checking signal strength with my current system, sats 101, 119, 103s, 103ca, and 103cb look good with transponder signal strengths in the high 80s to high 90s.

Sat 99c is of concern. Readings vary from low 80s to low 90s on clear days, but on cloudy days, strengths degrade to mid 70s to mid 80s.

I understand that Genie installation requires signal strength of 80 or better.

Running Systems Test passes with all items OK.

Could this be an aiming issue or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for your help,
    Oscar

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I think Oregon signal for 99 is usually lower than other parts of the US but I'm not certain on that. Signal varies by regions as for as what is "required to activate" 80 may be fine in Oregon (not sure) but where I am in the south 80 will not get you activated.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might want to "fine tune" off of the 99 SAT.
    On the west coast, 99 is the farthest and lowest SAT.
    On the east coast it's one of the 103s.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is no such "requirement" however, the better your dish is aligned the best it will perform during rain.

but there is nothing to worry about as "DirecTV" will make sure the dish is aligned properly

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in Seattle, and my 99c signals range from 86 to 95. I'm farther north and west than you, so that shouldn't be a factor in signal level. A minor tweaking of your dish alignment should bring your signals up a bit.

6. Orm941

Orm941 New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Medford OR
    Thanks to all for the help.

The install occurred today. The installer found:
    - cracked LNB
    - dish mounting to pole allowing too much movement
    - crimped connectors instead of compression connectors

Installer mounted new dish and LNB. Replaced crimp connectors with compression connectors.

Signal now in high 80s to mid 90s.

Genie working great. All signals best ever.

Input from the forum helped me talk to the installer much more intelligently about the problems.

Thanks again!

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.