1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Genie upgrade but keep my HR20-100?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by John Strk, Aug 27, 2014.

1. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I am considering finally taking the free protection plan upgrade to a Genie.

I currently only have an HR20-100 as my main HD DVR and an SD receiver (D11-100) on an old TV which I could care less about. I want the Genie as my new main DVR but was hoping to keep my old HR20-100 connected in the same location as the Genie. It still has some recordings on it so would it be possible to access these recordings through the Genie?

What kind of setup and charges am I looking at? I have been off contract for years now and understand this upgrade will require a new 2 year agreement, so I will ask them if I qualify for any monthly discounts to go with it. Also is it best to call D* protection plan, any CSR, or retention to get this all setup?

Thanks! :)

2. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If the HR20-100 is SWIM compatible you can use it as a client and the HR44/Genie as the server. This would give you 7 recording tuners. You would be networking the two boxes together using the Whole Home DVR setup.
    Can't tell you about costs, you should call DirecTV and ask about the cost of the upgrade. DVRs make wonderful clients, but you can get non-DVR clients as well, which are cheaper, but do not give you the same number of recordable tuners.

My preference is the following:

1. Genie HR44 (5 recording tuners)
    2. HR24 HD DVR (2 recording tuners) This is where your HR20-100 comes in, if it is SWIM compatible.
    3. H24 HD Receiver only (1 Viewing/Non-Recording Tuner)

Total Tuners: 8 which is the default setup from D*. Any more tuners requires an SWM-16 add on/replacement.

3. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    All HR20's are SWiM capable, so he can keep it. will have to get the D11 replaced though.

1 person likes this.
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Set the Genie to use the alternate remote code, use the default on the HR20. Going the other way could cause some headaches if it's not going to be very temporary.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if he gets HR44, this should be no problem, using RF on RC71 or RC72

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you keep the HR20, you can have the tech use a 2 way splitter to run both DVRs from a single coax cables. Keeping the HR20 means paying the extra $6.00 a month for as long as you keep it activate. Also, getting the Genie means you have to pay for WHDVR which should be $3.00 monthly

1 person likes this.
  7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, in the other thread I specified if it was using IR, didn't put that in when I moved to this thread. I think it's one of those obscure issues at this point :)

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You should be okay as long as DIRECTV (or an agent thereof) does the installation. My recollection is that the HR20-100 requires some extraordinary wiring (along with a special filter) to the DECA adapter that is used to connect it to the Genie.

I suppose you could also use a CCK with a splitter.

The cheap and easy option would be to skip DECA and go with a CAT5 jumper between the Genie and the HR20.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I wouldn't call it extraordinary. It is less tidy, but then you're no longer needing BBCs. The BSF requirement depends on the wiring method used, two work. I can't remember which one is official DirecTV policy (splitter before or after DECA.)

10. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Customer retention group (CRG) would be your best choice.

1 person likes this.
  11. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys!

Thinking about it now, I'll probably just deactivate and replace the D11 with my HR20-100. That way I won't have to pay to activate a 3rd box. I never use the D11 anymore, but I don't know if this will complicate the setup moving my HR20-100 to another room. I just want to be able to access the old recordings on the HR20-100 with the new Genie at least until the HR20-100 dies.

I'll call and see what my options are.

12. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    Moving the hr20 to other location should be very simple and yes the genie will see the list and it will see the genies

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Some installers, including myself, like to replace the HR20-100 with another HDDVR because the HR20-100 requires a “special” configuration when is used in a Whole-Home set up.

Make sure to let the installer know that you wish to keep the HR20

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since it is unique and requires additional hardware that an H series box shouldn't need, it is extraordinary.

The fact that peds48 would rather replace it than work with it also rises to the level of extraordinary.

15. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Well I finally called back and got a deal. Talked to the retention department after getting no where with the protection plan people. Got a free Genie upgrade, $35 off per month in credits for 12 months, and free HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 3 months. They also offered an NFL package deal but I declined. Instead I asked when we were getting Universal Sports in HD. They could not help with that one.

Very happy with this. Installation scheduled for this Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!!! :)

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We generally know about coming channels before they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    So, how'd it go?

18. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Good news and bad news. My new Genie (HR44-700) is all hooked up and working great. Can't get over how fast it is compared to my HR20.

But MRV is not working. The contractor that came out was in a plain unmarked truck and had some girl with him that was supposedly training. He kept telling me that my old HR20-100 was not supported for MRV. He even showed me some chart that shows it as not supported. He was pointing to a H20 on the chart and I had to correct him that mine was a HR20. So he had to make a few calls to figure out how to connect everything. I wish I had done a little more research before they came out. I told him that I had checked with multiple sources that confirm that it was possible to connect the HR20 and Genie for MRV but that it required a special connection for the HR20. I should have had a diagram for them. He even called back the local supervisor and he said it could not be connected. The installer didn't even get the internet connection working on the Genie before he left.

So I called D* tech support after the tech left and they confirmed that it was indeed possible and that all I need is a splitter and a band stop filter. I requested a different technician to come back out so I made an appointment for later this week. Hope all goes well. I just want to be able to view my old HR20 recordings on the Genie until the HR20 dies.

Currently I connected the Genie to my Wi-Fi as this is the preferred connection method according to D*. But I already had an ethernet cable available from my HR20 so now I need to figure out if it's a faster, more stable internet connection having a wired ethernet connection as opposed to wireless. D* said the wired connection can cause issues with MRV. Is this true?

19. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    I have my hr44-700 connected wireless and haven't had any problems but wired should in theory be better. Ethernet doesn't cause any issues as long as every other directv receiver isn't connected via Ethernet, as the genie will provide internet to your HR20 via coax deca adapter once installed properly.

1 person likes this.
  20. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    Diagram of install.

Attached Files: