1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New GenieGo Version 2 On The Way

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by HoTat2, Dec 22, 2013.

1. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey, saw in a recent DIRECTV Tech. training video a new GenieGo version 2 is coming soon. Specs. are said to be the same as the first generation GG, but in addition to it's lone ethernet connection GG2 will be MoCA enabled for a coax network hookup option as well.

In fact on all SWiM installs, coax with be the preferred hookup by the Techs for it.

It also will have only one operation and status indicator with more colors than the three of the original GG has with only blue, amber, and off for no color.

And the GG2 It will use the EPS10 power adapter as on the H25 receiver instead of the current 12v used by the GG1.

Here are some screen shots;

GenieGo2 Comparison.png

GenieGo2 rear photo.png

GenieGo2 Single Indicator Meanings.png

GenieGo2 Hookup diagrams.png

Pretty cool, for more flexibility in hookup I guess ... :)

2. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    So...can I sell you some of that Life Shield they were pimping?

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Interesting it's larger than the previous generation box. Trend is to get smaller. I guess it's the add'l MoCA circuitry.

4. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    Hmmm...a new version just to make installers jobs easier. Sure why not? But really how hard is it just to plug it in a router?

5. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Directv has always tried to keep traffic off a customers router. It makes troubleshooting easier.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Same engine?

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm surprised they didn't put a coax pass thru on it.

I think eventually it'll be built into the Genie receivers.

1 person likes this.
  8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's what the video said;

Same specifications and activation procedure as GG1, just MoCA enabled and with new single indicator light and colors to signify operational status.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I wish it'd be wireless.

10. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Likely needed for the additional heat created by the DECA adapter.

Don "all things being equal for me the plain Ethernet connection version would be just fine. no need to wait apparently" Bolton

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh yea, forgot to add;

The GG2 It will use the EPS10 power adapter as on the H25 receiver instead of the current 12v used by the GG1.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If it indeed has the same performance specs, it will be just a disappointing re-design.

13. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Why wouldn't it be wireless, if it's connected to the DECA Cloud and that's connected wireless. Hmm?

;)

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It will be interesting to see if anyone with a current model, has any reason to upgrade.

When the HR34 came out, the 5 tuners made it worthwhile to get it, even though it was much larger than the HR24.
    Is the larger GenieGo box worth it? Time will tell.

15. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    I'd upgrade if:
    1. All I had to do was re-attach my external USB drive that I currently have attached to my GenieGO to the new model, thus preserving all the content I already had recorded (i.e., plug-and-play with no loss of data and settings);
    2. Multi-threading capabilities were added such that the device can prepare and download to the client app without any degradation in performance. Presently, when I am both preparing and downloading to my client, the download performance drops significantly.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Would you pay for this device? if so how much?

17. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I'd pay $100 again if the upgrade also came with higher picture quality and better streaming bitrates for OOH.

It's not like these are mind-numbing, expensive upgrades. We're talking about things that D* could likely do to the current model with software upgrades.

I'm not sure if the current processor could handle higher quality streams and transcodes, but that's not the expensive upgrade that it used to be.

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd up for a new one if it did OoH downloads and higher res. transcodes.

19. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Yes, for sure I'd pay.

I don't have a set amount in mind, but as long as I could afford it, I'd get it. The features I want are that important to me.

20. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    OOH downloads should be do-able with the original GG as well. Same with transcoding OTA, one of my wishes. Hopefully we'll see both in a future firmware upgrade.

1 person likes this.