1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guide Cropped

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bullitt, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    The top portion of new guide is now cropped. This makes time and other info unreadable unless I switch to 480i. Is there a way to correct, I have a Mits 55809 Rear Projection and I'm wondering if it's overscan.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I would bet" it is a overscan issue, because it isn't that way here, on my Sony XBR.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll need to adjust the TV to show the whole frame. That's where the material is being lost.

This is usually done in some manner of technician's calibration menu that you have to execute multiple obscure button presses to get into.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wow, that's a ton of overscan.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    My [one and only] RPTV had a ton of it so it would auto adjust, since the sensors were on the edges of the "screen".

6. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    That does seem like a lot. I know my TV has a "Dot by dot" and then various forms of "stretch" You want dot by dot since that will show whatever is being broadcast but even on "smart stretch" I don't lose that much guide info.

7. hitokage

hitokage Legend

Jan 19, 2010
    The issue here is that the TV may actually be within normal overscan limits for NTSC and even ATSC standards. However newer TVs don't need as much or any overscan, and the UI designers don't seem to always take it into account. There are safe areas that should be maintained to avoid this very problem - basically designing things so everything is visible and not cut-off in the worst case scenario.

One possibility is there are some capacitors showing their age that need to be replaced, and then everything readjusted.

So, basically you can:
    Live with it
    Try to adjust things yourself
    Have a TV tech do it
    Go through the TV and replace any marginal and failed capacitors and readjust everything
    Have a TV tech do this last one
    Finally, you can use it as an excuse to replace it with a new and possibly larger TV.

Not necessarily on a CRT based TV.