1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New H25 - Wont Recongize Access Card

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BK89, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1 of 41
    BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I purchased a new H25 receiver through Amazon (actually an amazon affiliate6ave.com). The receiver will not recognize any access card out of the box. On the box it says to contact Directv with an technical issues (basically 6ave.com says dont call them). I call Directv and walkthrough trouble shooting with three seperate people - no luck. I get transfered to the Protection Plan deptartment. They will send a replacement but will not guarantee which box I will get (I am 99% sure it will not be replaced with another H25).

I am really frustrated right now. The whole reason I didn't order from DirecTV in the first place is a wanted the smaller footprint of the H25. And now its back to the receiver lottery. Anyone have a similar experience? Shoud I try to contact the retailer 6ave? Or will just tell me they cant do anything and to call Directv?

2. Oct 5, 2011 #2 of 41
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If the receiver has not been activated by DIRECTV you should be able to return it to the place you bought it but I believe if it's been activated you will likely have to do the deal with DIRECTV.

Please let us know what happens, it will help to know if they replace your H25 with another H25.

3. Oct 5, 2011 #3 of 41
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    ^ "yeah" while Amazon may not want it back these have a 90 day manufacture's warranty, and if you can't get it activated, they need to replace "their" defective product.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #4 of 41
    BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I think that's the problem, Directv activated it before we realized there was a problem with the access card. The Protection Plan guy did say the manufactures warranty would cover it but then goes on to say he cannot guarantee which repalcement they will send me.

So basically Directv will get a new H25 that I paid for and I will get someone's old refurbed unit. So much for the leader in customer service...to me that sucks and feels like I am getting bent over!

5. Oct 5, 2011 #5 of 41
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd fire back at the PP people, since one of the reasons to have it is to get the same model replacement.

6. Oct 5, 2011 #6 of 41
    BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    The PP people I dealt with were not very helpful. The girl I talked with first was going to charge me an additional $49 for a technician to come out with a replacement and install (apparently because I didnt purchase it through Directv, the Protection plan wouldnt apply, I was like WTF)! So I obviosuly asked to speak with a supervisor, who went on to cop an attitude with me. But at least he got me to the point of sending a replacement and not having to pay another $49. What a joke. I was on the phone for over an hour for something that usually takes 5 minutes.

7. Oct 5, 2011 #7 of 41
    Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Sorry it took so long to get it solved but please let us know what you end up getting.

8. Oct 5, 2011 #8 of 41
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They are going to have to do something on replacements. HR21-24 maybe, but no one with an H25 will be happy with an H24. When the HR35, same thing.

Hopefully they already have a setup for the H25.

9. Oct 6, 2011 #9 of 41
    BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    What do you mean by this? The Protection Plan guy specifically said they cannot guarantee which model is sent as a replacement. So I'm pretty sure they do not have an exchange plan "setup" so newer models get replaced with the same model.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Receiver cannot be activated if smart card is not activated.

Adding to that: It's not a irreversible action, like a crack on a ground after earthquake - it's just a record in DTV database, or just one bit of the box's status in database record. I smell extended BS here.

11. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I wouldn't accept anything that isn't an H25.

12. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    But how would you know its not an H25? Not until you open the box (and to do that wouldnt I have to accept the shipment and sign for it)?

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The size of the box. :lol:

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or if you can track the box, the weight?

15. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    That and every DIRECTV box they have sent me has a make/model number on the outside of the box somewhere.

16. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Try pressing down very hard on the access card or re-inserting several times.

I had a similar H25 issue and the access card was miss-aligned slightly.

The fix was to trim the card a sliver and the problem was fixed.

Have no idea if your problem is related but figured worth a shot.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then it would easy process: before sign the delivery slip, read the label and say "I'm rejecting the parcel" if it's not H25. The postman will make a note and will take it back.
    I did a few times for other type of goodies and one time it was more peculiar case: inside of the parcel some broken parts was rattling, clanking - so I said I must inspect it first before sign the delivery, after opening we saw broken apparatus and I rejected to accept it. He took it back, not sure what sign he made on the box after.

18. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Hmm, I hadnt noticed it labeled on the outside of the box before. I will keep on the lookout before I sign for it. Thanks.

19. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I tried wiggling, jiggling, everything. Even tried another access card and they both just read all zeros for the numbers with the note at the bottom (please insert access card). Short of cutting the card like you mentioned I dont think there was anything else to try, assumed the card reader inside is dead. With my luck I would cut the card - it will still not work and then they would charge me some extra access card fee for hackign it up. haha!!

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Try two card same time, one is business card, other is the card.