1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD-DVR = No More Thecus Sata Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by freshone, Aug 13, 2009.

1. freshone

freshone AllStar

Dec 26, 2006
    Guys,

Haven't been here for a long time, things have just been.... workin!

Short of it: had an older HD DVR, sound went out on it. So, the tech replaced it with a brand new one today, H22 I think. Black, sleek, nice.

The sound works again, got the network going. So I turn on my eSata Thecus Raid, and reboot. Okay, get a message that the "storage device is not working". Reboot to try again, same message.

Well, I knew I would lose all my schedules and recordings but I thought it would reformat and I would be good.

The Thecus is one of the older ones (3+ years old?), I have two 500GB drives in Raid 0 giving me one TB of storage.

Well, I am at a loss as to what may have happened. I plugged it in for the hell of it to see what would happen while the receiver was on. Now the orange lite is on, meaning drive failure? I mean the odds that one of the drives really failed today? I don't know...seems strange to me.

Anyone have any ideas? Also, can someone list what the current eSata rig is? I know there was a unit everyone was grabbing with a specific TB drive.

Thanks again.

Freshone...

2. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    I'd plug the Thecus into a computer. The manufacturer probably has some sort of diagnostic tool that can tell you what's going on. It's not uncommon for RAID arrays to get goofed up and need to be rebuilt.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Particularly with Raid 0 (combining drives into a larger volume) - - either drive can hiccup and the volume's gone.

4. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Also, the new HR22 might not like that drive. Just because it worked on another model doesn't mean it will work on the HR22.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So true. My 2TB Cavalry RAID eSATA will not work with 21s at all. Oddly, other models of Cavalry RAID eSATAs will. How's a person to know what will happen with the odd eSATA? I've never tried a Thecus box and can't help with that. But 1TB HDDs are cheap and so are the Antec MX-1s.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try the Antec MX-1 enclosure with a bare SATA drive. I use the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TBs in mine. You can buy both on Amazon.

Of course, with a 22-100, you never quite know what will happen. The Antecs seem to work with just about every HR.

Rich

7. freshone

freshone AllStar

Dec 26, 2006
    Yeah thanks all! I just ordered and received today an MX-1 and a WD 1TB drive. Let's see what happens! I don't understand why some drives/enclosures work with some receivers and not others. eSata is eSata, no? Well, the Thecus served me well for three years. I'll see if I can salvage it for some other box. I already have a FreeNas Raid 1 box I use but I guess it can't hurt to have another raid!

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was what we thought originally. Then I tried a My Book eSATA on a 20-700 and it didn't work. Called WD and was told that the My Book series was not meant to work on DVRs and would work on no DVRs. Then we started getting reports that people had them working on 21s. So, no, an eSATA is not always an eSATA in some instances on some HRs. Seagate Free Agent Pros work well with 20-700s but won't work with 21s. Seagate Xtremes work well with 20-700s but seem iffy with 21s. It's been kind of a ''trial and error" process.

I've pretty much stuck with Seagate all in one eSATAs and/or Antec MX-1 enclosures with bare Seagate Barracuda SATA drives. I do have a couple Cavalry eSATAs and have had both for over a year. Not the best, but if you get one that works they seem to last. Noisy, tho.

Rich

9. freshone

freshone AllStar

Dec 26, 2006
    Yep, the Antec is working! Very quiet, no obnoxious lights either. I'm diggin' it.

Thanks again guys!