1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD Install -- what will the installer have?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by beestea, Jun 26, 2008.

1. beestea

beestea AllStar

Dec 13, 2006
    Im helping someone get a new HD install in Virginia and I am wondering what the installers are using in this area as far as Dishes, SWM, Multiswitch, etc.

What we need:

Mpeg4 Capable dish
    2 HD DVR's

What we want:

SWM functionality as there is only one coax run to each room and we would like to use both tuners.

Do Virginia installers have any type of SWM yet? If I tell customer service that is what I require, does that help?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's a good question, but I'm not sure. Can any of the installers in Virginia hazard a guess?

3. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

(1) If you want SWM function. You should buy an SWM8 from dave29 here, There are some areas getting the SWMLine installed but not many. I'm not sure if your area is one of them. Some one will chime in on that.

(2) The installer will have most likely the HR21, but lately I have read rumers about the HR23 going to installerss. Non of the rumers are confirmed but you never know. The HR21 is capable and awesome. If you need OTA you need to tell D* that so you get the AM21's required for that.

Hope this helps.....

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    To be clear, OTA requires that the customer PURCHASE an AM21. The HD-DVRs were lowered in price by $100 when the OTA tuner was removed, so even people who have to buy a $50 AM21 are still saving $50, while people who don't need OTA save $100.

Installers do not have AM21s available. They have to be ordered directly from DirecTV (or another authorized retailer).

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    They'll probably install an 5LNB dish and you'll get 2 HR21's with it.

Since you only need 4 lines to use the receivers, you won't get a multi-switch.

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    agreed

7. beestea

beestea AllStar

Dec 13, 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys...

We pretty much need some sort of SWM functionality because running new coaxial lines the way it should be done (in the walls) is not an realistic option... The distribution point is just too far away from where the HD-DVR's will be.

Since I am in a phase1 area for the SWMLine dish (Virginia) and I mentioned to the DirecTV CSR's about 10 times that we require SWM functionality I really hope they bring the correct dish. One of the CSR's said she would note it in the work order for the install, so if they don't show up with the correct equipment I'll probably refuse the install.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I think you're probably better off with a local dealer IMHO.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Be aware: the HSPs can access those notes, but they are almost never passed on to the installers. Also, for the time being, SWMline dishes are only given to new customers who meet certain criteria; if you don't order enough of the right recievers, you won't get one. That will probably relax a bit as production ramps up, but the SWMline LNB will always be more expensive, so there is incentive NOT to use them for every job.

The one thing on your side is that an installer would prefer to use the SWMline as it is much easier for him. But he still may not be allowed, depending on the rules at the local office.