1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD will be here by April 1st, Charlie says

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by brant, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1 of 43
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Charlie says we will have new HD by april 1st.

I'll list what I remember seeing;

SpikeHD
    Comedy Central HD
    MTV HD
    VH1 HD
    CMT HD
    BET Jazz(?) HD

seems like there was another but it was a quick flash on the screen.

The Movie Channel HD
    new Showtime HD channels.

Question:

I have TMC-W and TMCX-W in the gold 250 package.

Do you think we'll see these in HD, or only the east coast versions that come w/ the premium package?

2. Mar 9, 2009 #2 of 43
    Rich8511

Rich8511 New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Yeah, they said tomorrow we should see two new showtime channels, bet jazz, and one other

It was interesting because they promised the rest by April 1st.

Oh, and one of the callers mentioned FX and Speed, Charlie just said they were still negotiating and that of all the HD channels they don't have, those two are one of the most requested.

3. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Nickelodeon was the other.

4. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    All I want is SPEED!!! No Speed no MLB...I'm looking elsewhere!

5. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Finally Nick HD. I been wanting that channel for the longest time. Hate watching it in cruddy SD.

6. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    S P E E D

7. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    fmspeed - Do you know if Direct is offering Speed in HD? I'm tired of waiting and it looks like we will have another racing season of crummy SD on Speed. Plus, we are not about to get MLB any time sonn. I hate to switch, but I see no other alternative.

8. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Yes, Direct offers Speed HD.

9. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    What doesn't DirecTV offer in HD that Dish does not. It seems like they have all the good HD channels and Dish is slowly playing catch-up. Too slowly.

10. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    The reason I jumped to Dish from Direct was that they couldn't come to terms with ESPN when ESPN first started their HD programming and Dish already had it. I gave Direct until the very first game of the season...no ESPN HD, 'bye!

Now it looks like I'll have to go back...

11. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    directv doesn't have HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD, HBO2 HD, HBO Latino HD, HBO Family HD, etc. . .

it probably doesn't matter to everyone, but since I have HBO and watch it most of the time, it matters to me. except for the latino HD. I just list it because its available.

12. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I had to laugh after Charlie's speech about how they get the most desired stations on HD, then he admitted that FX and Speed are highly desired but they still can't get them.

13. Rich8511

Rich8511 New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Yeah I did, too :lol:

14. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    directv doesn't have HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD, HBO2 HD, HBO Latino HD, HBO Family HD, etc. . .

The etc... are my favorites:)

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Maybe if he'd just found a way to deal with News Corp. on that Canadian subsidiary that had employees facilitating stealing of Dish signals other than "sue the bastards" we'd have FX and SPEED. And also Rainbows AMC. And....:nono:

16. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    According to directv's website, they have 95 HD channels, unless i miscounted; the words were small :) (excluding locals, PPV). That includes premiums and RSN's.

In my guide on dish network, I currently have 83 HD channels that I subscribe to. There are 4 available that I don't subscribe to (Showtime, Cinemax). Dish is adding 4 more HD channels on wednesday. By april first they will have added 7 more.

So that will be a total of 98 HD channels (excluding locals, PPV).

Looks like directv will be playing catch-up. ;)

Dish has a few channels directv doesn't, and vice-versa.

17. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Well they are adding Nick HD. That is all that really matters to me. DirecTV had that for a while. Tired of watching Nick in cruddy SD and yes they do have programs on Nick in HD.

I think Dish has Travel Channel and Planet Green in HD that DirecTV does not have.

18. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Brent,
    Which four are coming aboard on Wednesday? Thanks!

19. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Directv doesn't have Travel Channel and probably won't unless they can negotiate a contract that includes CST. I'm looking forward to Spike,TMC,and Comedy Central. Don't really care about the rest,but happy happy to have them.

20. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    The Movie Channel HD
    Showcase HD
    Showtime 2 HD
    BET Jazz HD

Announced in the charlie chat, the following will be available by april 1st:

Nick HD
    Comedy Central HD
    MTV HD
    VH1 HD
    CMT HD
    BET HD
    Spike HD