1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here and to Direct TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Squall Line, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Squall Line

Squall Line New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    This is my first post.
    I own a camper . My brother and I camp together about once a month year round. He has DTV and I don’t. He suggested that if we buy a dish & tripod and I furnish the HDTV that he will bring along one of his DTV HD recievers.

[1]Will this work?
    [2]I thought that you needed a phone line connected to the system somewhere?
    [3]What do I need to buy to get the basic set up?
    [4]Can I do the setup myself?
    [5]Can I do it without purchasing a high dollar signal finder. I see them from $30.00 to $600.00, I can’t go for the high end stuff.

Please be as detailed as you can without going way overboard.
    REMEMBER I am NEW to this and I don’t really understand all the lingo that you guys use. I have real a lot and watched a lot of YouTube videos.
    Some stuff seems simple enouth but there are times that I get confused with all the different info floating around.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    :welcome_s

Yes, in fact if you do a search on "tailgating" setups, you should find quite a lot of discussions about it on this site.

Only if you want to order Pay-Per-View programs.

SlimLine or "AU-9" dish with a SlimLine-3 or 5 LNB. Though the 3 is likely sufficient. Mounting tripod, HD set top box receiver or DVR, RG-6 coax with connectors and a B-Band converter (two of each for a DVR) if the LNB is a non-SWM type.

Yes, though fine tuning the azimuth and elevation dish adjustments to peak the Ka band signals for the HD channels can be somewhat tricky.

[5]Can I do it without purchasing a high dollar signal finder. I see them from $30.00 to $600.00, I can’t go for the high end stuff.

No, the receiver's built in signal meters will suffice, but as I said fine tuning the dish for the Ka band can be a little tricky and may require patience.

No problem, please feel free to ask for further instructions or clarifications if needed. And be advised since DirecTV transmits local channels on spotbeams you will not be able to receive them if you travel well outside the DMA the subscriber's account address the receiver is under.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Be aware that depending on where you camp you may or may not get your local channels. They are only going to work within a roughly 75 mile radius of your home. If you get a separate RV account, you can get distant networks (probably NY for you being east coast).

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I always suggest just do the SD thing with a round dish and throw away TV from a yard sale. Everything is easier. There is less loss from theft or damage. The tripod tuning will take practice. Get good at hitting the 101.

Just sayin,

Joe

5. Squall Line

Squall Line New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for the help guys.