1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HMC no longer need additional boxes to watch tv??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by psuscott0483, Aug 29, 2012.

1. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    i just got off the phone with dtv i was helping my dad do the directv movers choice. he has an hr24 and an h24 and at the new home will need to feed 8 TVs total now; i asked them to add an hr34 to the bill instead of adding many dvrs, but the other boxes to add HD boxes. at first she said the promo was 2 free hd boxes, but then she said he would get the HMC for $126 with shipping; and he should bring his two boxes with; but there was no need for any additional boxes. she said its a new hmc receiver that sends signal through the coax and would support the new tv's they can watch hd tv independently and record shows/watch recorded programs. is this some new technology that ive never heard of or something that doesnt exist?

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It's called RVU, but I believe there's only 1 model Tv with it built in, a Samsung. He'd have to have that specific model in every room for it to work.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like he said, the CSR was only somewhat correct. The new HR34 can act as an RVU server and send out streams to 3 RVU clients at one time. Right now the only RVU clients are a few models of Samsung Smart TVs from last year. Supposedly all 2012 Samsung Smart TVs will eventually become RVU clients, but they are not at this time.

DirecTV is also working on it's own RVU thin client that can be attached to any TV and allows that TV to work as an RVU client. It is not out yet, but rumors are pointing to a release pretty soon.

I would recommend you check out this thread if you want to read some more.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200469

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Actually, the C31 RVU client box went public about 30 minutes ago (about 9:00 pm pacific 8/29/12). Available in "limited markets" (whatever that means). Check the first look in the HD DVR/Receiver forum.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Much like the HMC launch only certain areas will have it available to be ordered and installed initially.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    But that's still an extra box.

7. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    A really SMALL extra box. :)

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    True...it is an external "box". It's a "mini-me" version of the H25 HD receiver.

But as Lefty said...it's so small...most folks would hardly notice it.

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    And, if someone is using RF the thing is so small it'll fit almost anywhere...completely out of sight.

Mike

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Except for the wire(s) running to it and from it! :lol: When/if they can eliminate THOSE then that would be a major feat!