1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New home - need antenna system

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by David Cooper, Jun 16, 2017.

1. David Cooper

David Cooper New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    image.png image.png Good morning, I'm new to the forum and hoping for advice regarding an antenna system for a new house currently under construction. I have attached the details from TV Fool report for my location. I have 40 ft tower that I was planning to use for mounting my antenna - will probably be located about 60 ft. from the house. Also have a spool of RG6 cable, probably 250 ft or so. I am wide open to the best suggestion to get as many channels as possible. Looks like the Augusta, GA market offers strongest signals - around 44 deg. mark. Please advise regarding antenna selection, cable requirements, grounding (ground at tower or tie into main ground for house?), anything else relevant. Thanks in advance...

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Are you DIY person or willing to hire someone who will climb on the tower?

3. David Cooper

David Cooper New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I will hire if needed but the tower is not erected yet. I'm having a base fabricated now and pouring a footing soon so I can add anything needed before raising the tower. If we need to turn the antenna to get the best reception I can send someone up the mast.

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have the small Digital Advantage 45. I am 35 miles from the stations and all are in the same direction. I get 100% signal strength from all of the stations. It is Flat here.
    They have some that are Omnidirectional that you could get stations from all directions if you wish. The type I have is Directional.
    You would need one much bigger than mine in either directional or Omnidirectional. Outdoor TV Antennas | Channel Master

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've had very good results with outdoor antennas from Antennas Direct. They have a wide variety of antennas from which to choose. www.antennasdirect.com

7. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    P Smith likes this.
  8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    EdJ, cholly, longrider consider their posts. You have ONE LOS station 40 miles away, every other station is over 50 miles and 2Edge or Tropo. That means big fringe antennas and pre amplifiers. Seeing they come from different directions you will need a rotor to change the direction each time you change stations. Noboby is going to climb 40 ft. to change from ABC to watch CBS. About the best may be 44 degrees at 59 miles and 2 edge, the 4 major networks may come in with minimum investment 24/7.

9. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You might want to consider DISH Network satellite with the Welcome Pack and 2 211K receivers or Wally receivers. Programming and taxes should run around $30/mo. and be available on at least 2 TV sets

10. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I was very aware of the distance, the antenna I recommended is definitely a fringe antenna with preamp. For comparison (and leaving a rotator out of the discussion) the 4 main networks at 44 have signal levels ranging from -77.9 to -83.5 In my case my signals using the same TV Fool calculations are from -76.8 to -88.9 and the antenna I suggested works great.

11. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    That is why I said CONSIDER your post I expected it could work, he knows his topography so final selections are his.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Antennas direct sells both antennas and preamps. I was merely pointing out a source for them. I'm aware that a rotor is also required.

13. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    i do owe you an apology, I initially interpreted your post as saying the antennas we suggested would not work. With your explanation i see I got it backwards. Sorry

14. David Cooper

David Cooper New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Thanks for the responses. The Televes antenna looks like a winner for me. This area is mostly flat so I think with my 40 ft. tower it will work well. The rotator should make fine tuning a snap. I appreciate all the help - this stuff is all new to me so its great to learn from guys who know what they are doing. Once I'm up and running I will post an update.

15. Xelleld

Xelleld New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    I'm no expert on outdoor antennas, since I am close enough to almost all the stations in my market to use a Leaf 30 indoor antenna, but I have to back up longrider's suggestion. I think the Televes is probably the best one for your area, since it has very good range in flat areas and has a rotator so you won't need to climb up the tower or have someone else climb up to do it manually. There's not really a better priced antenna that has those features, at least not one that I've found.

16. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Are you sure about the included rotator?

17. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I might have caused that assumption by a comment I made comparing his install to mine. The Televes does NOT include a rotator.