1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hopper Feature Working!

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tommiet, Jun 29, 2012.

1. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    For folks with 2 or more Hoppers, the last update now allows us to share recordings.

One negative I see, my fast forward seems to have a small delay in it now. It was super fast and now when I press the FF button to fast, I see the same video until I stop. Before I would see a snip of each 30 second stop. Not anymore.... No biggie, but makes it harder to know when to stop.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Software version S213.

For clarity, that is the skip fwd button ... fwd works fine at all speeds zipping ahead. Skip Fwd isn't showing each skip.

3. misterp

misterp Cool Member

May 28, 2012
    I only have one Hopper... Can you explain what "sharing" between Hoppers means? How is this different from what the Joeys do? I'm wondering if there is reason for me to buy a second Hopper.

4. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    This is all well and good if the update has been pushed to your Hoppers. I have yet to see the update on either of my Hoppers! :(

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Watch dedicated S2.13 thread ...

6. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    It means that 2 hoppers (i believe 2 is the limit) can speak to each other.
    Information on Hopper A can be accessed on Hoppah B, and vice versa.

7. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you have three all three can access each other.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Question: if you have more then three ? Five ? Ten ?

9. Jul 2, 2012 #9 of 26
    misterp

misterp Cool Member

May 28, 2012
    I still don't understand how this is different from a Joey. Joeys speak to Hoppers too. What can I do with two Hoppers that I can't do with a Hopper and a Joey?

10. strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    Record 6 different programs from any channel, since you have 6 separate tuners. And have more Joeys I think. I think you can only have 3 Joeys per Hopper so if you have a very large household a 2 Hopper, bunch of Joey system might make sense. But yes, essentially this just adds the same capabilities between hoppers that Joeys already had.

11. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    You DON'T have six tuners, only three. You can only record the 4 networks ONLY during prime time and two others. Non prime and you can only record three.

12. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    ^Yes but now that I can watch PTAT on either Hopper I gain one of the three tuners back. So now I can record the 4 major networks plus 4 other channels simultaneously during prime time and then access the four major networks from the other Hopper. It is an excellent feature along with autohop this system is the bomb.

13. strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    My understanding is that with two hoppers you have 6 tuners, 3 per Hopper. Therefore, during PTAT you can actually record 9 programs at once, 4 using PTAT and one tuner and 5 others using the other 5 tuners. I just looked in the Hopper training guide and it says the same thing.

14. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    Yes and with 3 hoppers you would have 9 tuners. But all this is miss leading to a newbe and most don't have two hoppers.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct ... with two Hoppers.

bigdog was missing that disclaimer ... and two (or more) Hoppers is the point of this thread. Sharing content on either Hopper with the other Hopper.

16. strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    I responded to this specific question, and it was quoted in my response:

Not sure how you could have misinterpreted my response before choosing to jump all over me. But hey, whatever.

17. rohdem

rohdem New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I am a directv customer but I am scheduled to have Dish installed next Tuesday. I am scheduled to get 1 hopper and 3 joeys, but the more I read about the Hopper, the more I am worried that the 3 tuners aren't going to be enough for my 4 TV setup. I plan on using the slingbox adapter also.

Dish rep told me that if I wanted to put a 2nd hopper instead of one of the joeys, the monthly charges would be the same, but it would cost me $99 up front for the 2nd hopper. Does this sound right?

So if the 2 hoppers communicate after this software update, do they function as one big DVR as far as scheduling and recording? I.E. if I schedule a show, will it record on either hopper, whichever has tuners available? Or do I have balance my recordings by scheduling conflicting shows on separate hoppers, then have a 'recorded shows' list for each hopper? Am I making sense here? :)

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Grab that second Hopper! For the time being, the connection between Hoppers is to watch the other Hoppers recordings. More connection will evolve over time. The Joeys can watch OR control either Hopper and do pretty much anything except PIP. You can strategically plan where you want Hoppers and Joeys located to take advantage of available features.

19. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yup, I'd pay the $99 up front and grab that 2nd Hopper now.

20. crabtrp

crabtrp Legend

Sep 23, 2006
    I would think 1 Hopper for 4 tv's would not be optimal, depending obviously on how much they are used. Get the 2nd Hopper. Even with the 2nd Hopper we his issue on tuners being used (4 tv's also), the latest release on hopper to hopper integration has made things a lot easier.