1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Hopper, transfer PTAT shows to an external HD?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by TD22057, Nov 15, 2013.

1. TD22057

TD22057 Cool Member

May 24, 2007
    I just received a new Hopper w/ sling to replace my old Hopper and I'm trying to copy over all of our recordings using an external HD. I can move all the recordings over except the ones currently in the PTAT buffer (prime time shows we have a timer for but that are still from the last 8 days). Those shows do not show up in the menu for moving shows to the external HD.

How can I copy over PTAT shows that I have a timer for to the external HD?

I was wondering if I change the PTAT "keep" setting to 1 or 0 (not sure 0 is possible) days if it might move shows over to my side of the HD so I can move them but I'm worried it might just erase them and we don't want to lose those shows.

Thanks.

2. TD22057

TD22057 Cool Member

May 24, 2007
    Another thought: If I activate the new Hopper, do I lose the ability to play PTAT shows off the old Hopper?

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In order to move something off the DVR that was recorded during PTAT... I believe you have to "save" (keep) it AND wait the full 8 days for it to roll off the PTAT menu. Until that happens, it is not an independent recording that can be archived.

If you deactivate a receiver, I think you will lose the ability to access DVR recordings on it.

4. TD22057

TD22057 Cool Member

May 24, 2007
    Well I can confirm that deactivating the receiver doesn't shut you out. I can still watch shows on the DVR (I did unplug everything before deactivation though). I heard from someone that lowering the PTAT buffer from 8 days to 2 days works... but the stupid Hopper says that since it doesn't have guide data anymore I can't even access the PTAT settings page. So who knows if the 8 day expiration will even be checked anymore. I guess Dish isn't getting my old Hopper back anytime soon...

5. productofusa

productofusa New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    When you do eventually send it back be sure to keep your shipping receipt, (maybe you do anyway) as I just got an email from dish saying they had deducted $400 from my bank account for failure to return a broken hopper from like 6 or 8 weeks ago.
    The whole experience I had with dish having to do with said hopper was less than stellar, so for some reason I did keep the shipping receipt (I usually don't, im dumb that way lol), I'm sure I could have sorted things out with out the paper reciept but it certainly made things easier! Heads up my friend!